From Field to Skillet....Yummy

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Missed the rabbit opener for the 1st time in many years, but was able to get out yesterday...Hit my 1st turkey spot and bagged a couple with the Beeman .22 pellet gun...As I tried to get number 3, and a bunch of swing and misses, I realized that a pellet was stuck in the barrel...Fortunately, I brought the Umamex PCP .25 and CZ .17...Moved over to MCC and the Umamex was on the money...Got 3 more in short order.

Next it was go over to the old Lake Henshaw fish cleaning station to do some fileting...Easy peasy

This evening after a full day in ice water...They were ready to cook up...Dry thoroughly, season with your favorite rubs...Then and this is the most important step...Jaccard till your hands hurt...lol...Then drop into a olive oiled hot pan...Watch closely and don't over cook (2-3 minutes each side)...Remove and set on paper towel...Slice & eat (while still hot) or like in this case, slice and make a burrito...DELISH!

.IMG_2108.JPGIMG_2113 (1).JPGIMG_2123.JPGIMG_2124.JPGIMG_2125.JPGIMG_2126.JPGIMG_2127.JPGIMG_2129.JPG

Awsome. How are the parasites this time of year. The ones by my house in ramona were always covered bad

Awsome. How are the parasites this time of year. The ones by my house in ramona were always covered bad

I have no idea...I have literally hunted rabbits all my life and have never come across parasites...A few fleas as I recall, but no ticks or bugs...The only thing I touch are back straps and leg meat.

Looks tasty! Do you stick them in your vest as you hunt? I kind of remember someone saying on here that they left them in the shade and came back to them when they were done hunting. I'll have to keep an eye out for copper 22 so I can make some burritos!

those burritos look damn good. i got my first rabbit last year and when i processed it, it had had two babies in her stomach. how often do you find babies in your rabbits? i tossed them and had a good roast with the rabbit. but it was a shock when i opened her up. they look like little egg rolls.
Missed the rabbit opener for the 1st time in many years, but was able to get out yesterday...Hit my 1st turkey spot and bagged a couple with the Beeman .22 pellet gun...As I tried to get number 3, and a bunch of swing and misses, I realized that a pellet was stuck in the barrel...Fortunately, I brought the Umamex PCP .25 and CZ .17...Moved over to MCC and the Umamex was on the money...Got 3 more in short order.

Next it was go over to the old Lake Henshaw fish cleaning station to do some fileting...Easy peasy

This evening after a full day in ice water...They were ready to cook up...Dry thoroughly, season with your favorite rubs...Then and this is the most important step...Jaccard till your hands hurt...lol...Then drop into a olive oiled hot pan...Watch closely and don't over cook (2-3 minutes each side)...Remove and set on paper towel...Slice & eat (while still hot) or like in this case, slice and make a burrito...DELISH!

.View attachment 49523View attachment 49524View attachment 49525View attachment 49526View attachment 49527View attachment 49528View attachment 49529View attachment 49530

those burritos look damn good. i got my first rabbit last year and when i processed it, it had had two babies in her stomach. how often do you find babies in your rabbits? i tossed them and had a good roast with the rabbit. but it was a shock when i opened her up. they look like little egg rolls.

According to the folks in Wuhan, pickled baby rabbit is excellent.....Or was that from Larry's cook book?......:yum

ps...I wouldn't know, since I never touch the gut...Filet baby... :blush:

What is wrong with boning out the meat from the back legs? seams like a waste!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu