G10 got “her” done

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
Filled my G10 on Saturday afternoon. My hunting buddy was out of town so I went solo and turned the old minivan into my hunting rig. This limited my access so I came up with a plan to hunt an area that I could walk in. I got to the spot I wanted and was there early and with the full moon I walked in about 45 minutes before shooting time. At about 7:00am I spotted a buck at about 200 yards. He was a small forky and I did not have a shot as he was skyline and went over the opposite side of the ridge. I went after him but he gave me the slip. So I went back to my spot for the rest of the morning. After a lunch break I was back in the same spot for the afternoon. At about 2:30pm I glassed two doe's at 400 yards. I was surprised that they were moving mid-afternoon. I was able to close the distance to 170 yards but could not get a good rest. I took the shot and dropped her in her tracks. It has been two years since I filled my tag and we have hunted pretty hard so I was damn excited to get a doe. My daughter was on call and so I sent her a quick text to get to the base. She was there in time to meet me at the road and help me get the deer in the van. Dressed out weight was 86LBs and the largest doe taken on base as of Saturday. Went back out Sunday to help fill my buddies tag. We did not see anything but a yote in the morning and in the afternoon I spotted four does on a hillside after sunset but there was not enough time left for him to close the distance before last shot. Total hike mileage for the weekend about 8 miles so this old man is a little sore but damn happy to get it done.

4a06d2a31cd44464f3c36fb31a918c2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great going, Matt....Maybe we'll get something other than Ruddy poppers for the super bowl party.....lol

ps....J/K....Love those poppers

Great going, Matt....Maybe we'll get something other than Ruddy poppers for the super bowl party.....lol

ps....J/K....Love those poppers

Thanks Steve and Yes sir! I will make a venison dish and of course the poppers. But not charred this time I will watch the grill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lungpopper

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu