Gambrel size/type

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I am looking to pick up a gambrel or two for small game but they come in sizes every two inches and wanted to see what size you guys are using most for racoon, opossum, skunk, and coyote, fox. I was thinking there is probably a size that would work for all of these sized animals and wanted to see what others were using. Also any thoughts on which type works better, chain, wire?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
No gambrel needed for any of those.., some parachute cord , a couple of cuts, and good tug will do it. So im told.

Last edited:
Trap can you weld ?
I use to make my own for big game.
Buy round bar dia based on strength needed.
I would hang stuff to keep it clean.
I Google it lot's of stuff out there very cheap too.

Last edited:
I didnt even know they made them for small critters.

Remember, stay close to the truck and hang in the barn is the way to go....

Attachments

• 20171007_184528.jpg
    20171007_184528.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 18
I keep paracord with me so will work in the field, but would like to get a permanent station setup in the garage. By the time the State finally issues my trap number I should have 15-20 traps in the line. The state really has the whole licensing process drug out, going on three months of hurry up and wait and still cannot put my traps out yet. Kinda sucks since they already have my money, $126, and still cant use the license yet with 3 months left before another $126 to renew.

There definitely not there to help you be successful.....good luck on trapping in Ca..specially so Ca.

Yea, easier to get a firearm than a trapping license in CA. Its ok, their trapping numbers are about to pop in 2019, even without bobcat on the list. I have always trapped under the military's license on federal land and they required relocation, except skunks were dispatched. CA recreational requires full reporting and either dispatch or release with no relocation.

@TrapLine are you trapping out in D12? I am curious how often you are going to check your line? It is so hot down there and frankly everywhere in SoCal. I feel like they are going to rot quick will that not affect your furs? Please educate me on this when I think of trapping I think of cooler weather. I have no experience

I plan on trapping in d12 when I am out there, traps have to be checked daily. Since I want the fur I cant use snares, footholds, and others, box traps only so they are very much alive when I return. Anything out of season or bycatch has to be released unharmed. CNF land is like an 1/8 mile from my house in D15 so those I can set and maintain daily for a long period of time, outside zones they will only be there for short times. I plan to drop 2-3 when I am scouting or hunting outside zones. I found collapsible traps that can be backpacked and dropped along the way and picked up when I leave.

I plan on trapping in d12 when I am out there, traps have to be checked daily. Since I want the fur I cant use snares, footholds, and others, box traps only so they are very much alive when I return. Anything out of season or bycatch has to be released unharmed. CNF land is like an 1/8 mile from my house in D15 so those I can set and maintain daily for a long period of time, outside zones they will only be there for short times. I plan to drop 2-3 when I am scouting or hunting outside zones. I found collapsible traps that can be backpacked and dropped along the way and picked up when I leave.
Live traps make sense. So whats the plan walk up and give them a 22lr to the head? Do you anticipate having to expand your area? I would think they would catch on fast but I have no experience in this. What are the laws can you trap whatever is in season do the seasons align with hunting seasons or are they separate. Like can you trap bobcats and foxes during hunting season? What are you going to use for bait? This might be a great opportunity for some us to unload some jackrabbits and coots on you.

Live traps make sense. So whats the plan walk up and give them a 22lr to the head? Do you anticipate having to expand your area? I would think they would catch on fast but I have no experience in this. What are the laws can you trap whatever is in season do the seasons align with hunting seasons or are they separate. Like can you trap bobcats and foxes during hunting season? What are you going to use for bait? This might be a great opportunity for some us to unload some jackrabbits and coots on you.

22lr to the head unless you want the skull. Yea the area will have to change eventually as the population fluctuates. The seasons are the same as hunting seasons. Gray Foxes yes, Bobcat no, Bobcat has to be released unharmed, after unharmed release to the wild you can take with a hunting tag. For bait i like to use bait from the area. I am big believer of working my way through the food chain for an area. If I run out of bait I will take you up on it. Canned cat food usually jump starts the process.

Dude, i,ll vouch for the canned cat food!! Works everytime!

22lr to the head unless you want the skull. Yea the area will have to change eventually as the population fluctuates. The seasons are the same as hunting seasons. Gray Foxes yes, Bobcat no, Bobcat has to be released unharmed, after unharmed release to the wild you can take with a hunting tag. For bait i like to use bait from the area. I am big believer of working my way through the food chain for an area. If I run out of bait I will take you up on it. Canned cat food usually jump starts the process.
So you can open the trap and have a shotgun ready lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu