Gear help for a noob

Hunterfisher

Jan 19, 2020
Hey everyone. Trying to gear up for this years deer season. Wanted to know what I should be looking for in a good backpack. Also where’s a good place to gear up in San Diego. I prefer to hold and feel stuff before I buy it over just getting something off the internet. Any and all help is much appreciated.

What kind of gear specifically? Unfortunately, we don't have many places to feel stuff out in person other than Turner's or Bass Pro up in Rancho Cucamonga. Fine Firearms has a selection of glass to check out. But if it's a pack or boots and those other 2 stores don't carry it, you'll unfortunately have to buy online and depend on return policies. I do it all the time..

Reactions: Hunterfisher
What kind of gear specifically? Unfortunately, we don't have many places to feel stuff out in person other than Turner's or Bass Pro up in Rancho Cucamonga. Fine Firearms has a selection of glass to check out. But if it's a pack or boots and those other 2 stores don't carry it, you'll unfortunately have to buy online and depend on return policies. I do it all the time..
Mainly back pack and boots. I just got my scope mounted at fine firearms. I was just wondering what people look for in a hunting backpack. How big should it be? Pockets, straps. Stuff like that

Mainly back pack and boots. I just got my scope mounted at fine firearms. I was just wondering what people look for in a hunting backpack. How big should it be? Pockets, straps. Stuff like that
Also not trying to spend 200 bucks on a back pack. Maybe later on down the line doing multiple day hunts

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Just use any backpack that will hold water and snacks. If you want boots locally REI would be your best choice. All you need is a pair of Binos and a rifle.
Gear doesn’t kill bucks time in the field does. Don’t get to caught up on gear.
Keep in mind I love gear and I have all the best stuff but it isn’t necessarily what kills animals.

What to look for in a bag pack? I assume you are going to hunt deer. But it really depends, are you gonna hike miles to hunt? or you gonna hunt short walking distance from the road on a tree stand? Are you going overnight?

IMO (and I am yet to take a Deer), a true hunting bag pack needs to be hydration bag compatible, it has to have many straps to make them smaller or larger, it needs plenty of padding in the right places, It should have a way to carry meat separate from the rest of the gear, good durable stitching and buckles, many pockets and compartments, a way to carry a rifle or a bow and hopefully fit adjustable. Most hunting backpacks describe weather the size is suited for deer, elk mouse and such.

There are many options online, the one brand is always popping up is Alpz outdoors. They have some of the lowes priced true hunting backpacks available, you just got to read the reviews because quality can be an issue for the hardcore hunter. You might or might not like some of the features in the different models.

You can start with Wallmart for basics such as headlamp, knife, rope, masking tape...etc etc. For other things like a basic camo top or pants, Turners outdoors can be an option but I got to tell you, the more I go there the more disappointed I get.

Boots prices go from. $100 to $150 min with an avg of $170+ and all the way to $300..the only place for hunting boots to try them on is Bass proshop.
Can you hunt with traditional construction boots that you can buy in boot world? ? Sure, Its not like you gonna hunt Colorado, Alaska or even high elevation in Nevada. But it sucks to hunt with heavy boots or uncomfortable boots. I highly recommend a soft lightweight waterproof boot for San Diego. Under Armour has a sale on a pair, I own for $110 and the fit is true and comfy. They might not last you many years if you hunt a lot but most affordable boots don't. Bass pro shop carries them too.

Don't be afraid to buy thru Amazon for certain things like binos, processing tools, game bags and such.

But IMO if you are in SD you need to drive to Bass pro shop. You get to see a lot of gear that you didn't even think about, they have many brands and you can talk to the sales guys. Plus is FUN!.

Good luck.

What to look for in a bag pack? I assume you are going to hunt deer. But it really depends, are you gonna hike miles to hunt? or you gonna hunt short walking distance from the road on a tree stand? Are you going overnight?

IMO (and I am yet to take a Deer), a true hunting bag pack needs to be hydration bag compatible, it has to have many straps to make them smaller or larger, it needs plenty of padding in the right places, It should have a way to carry meat separate from the rest of the gear, good durable stitching and buckles, many pockets and compartments, a way to carry a rifle or a bow and hopefully fit adjustable. Most hunting backpacks describe weather the size is suited for deer, elk mouse and such.

There are many options online, the one brand is always popping up is Alpz outdoors. They have some of the lowes priced true hunting backpacks available, you just got to read the reviews because quality can be an issue for the hardcore hunter. You might or might not like some of the features in the different models.

You can start with Wallmart for basics such as headlamp, knife, rope, masking tape...etc etc. For other things like a basic camo top or pants, Turners outdoors can be an option but I got to tell you, the more I go there the more disappointed I get.

Boots prices go from. $100 to $150 min with an avg of $170+ and all the way to $300..the only place for hunting boots to try them on is Bass proshop.
Can you hunt with traditional construction boots that you can buy in boot world? ? Sure, Its not like you gonna hunt Colorado, Alaska or even high elevation in Nevada. But it sucks to hunt with heavy boots or uncomfortable boots. I highly recommend a soft lightweight waterproof boot for San Diego. Under Armour has a sale on a pair, I own for $110 and the fit is true and comfy. They might not last you many years if you hunt a lot but most affordable boots don't. Bass pro shop carries them too.

Don't be afraid to buy thru Amazon for certain things like binos, processing tools, game bags and such.

But IMO if you are in SD you need to drive to Bass pro shop. You get to see a lot of gear that you didn't even think about, they have many brands and you can talk to the sales guys. Plus is FUN!.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the good info. I agree turners has been a disappointment. I’m most likely gonna be doing long hikes spot and stalking. I feel the more miles I put in the better off I will be. Im not scared of hiking.

Big thing is you want a pack where when all the meat is in it, it's decently comfortable and not killing ya so bad. Boots and Backpack are a good place to not be as afraid to spend money for quality. If ya get a bag that can go real big inside, usually they have tightening straps for when you're not carrying as much stuff that day and want to scrunch it up smaller. But ya can't make a smaller pack bigger, ya know?

Having nice sized pouches on the hip-belt is great too. I end up using those a lot. Also side pouches where you don't have to go into the main compartment as much, like for stuffing your motion decoy or eCaller into there, Sit-Pad, Cat-Digger, call lanyard, shooting sticks, trekking poles, etc.

Unfortunately there's not likely going to be any real good way for you to determine if a pack will carry the meat out comfortably or not. I suppose a half-assed way you could test that might be stuffing Gallon Water Jugs into the pack and walking around a bit with it. With my large pack I can stuff 4 Gals in there with ease. It'll carry it very comfortably.

With Deer, figure you're at least looking at something like 75+ Lbs of extra weight you didn't walk into that forest with. Nice amply-padded hip-belt and shoulder belts, and maybe with a design that gives ya decent airflow on your back to help fight sweating as much. And another one of those things you probably won't be able to test very well is how well the buckles hold their cinched positions after the belts themselves become sweated-up. On the first pack-out I did, with that pack, when it was loaded the hip-belt buckle kept loosening up after walking a bit. To counter-act that I was cinching the bleep out of it, many many times on the hike out. over the next 3 days I developed a hideous blistery pack-rash to the skin on my belly where that buckle comes together. You DO NOT want that.

Oh... also a good reason to see if you can test the pack with weight in it is because sometimes when the weight goes up it will reveal squeeks and squawks that a packs straps may produce while you're walking. You want the pack to be as quite as possible.

If you're not trying to spend a couple hundred dollars on a pack I'd recommend Alps Outdoorz they have some great packs for under $100. I got mine on sale for around $50 and have used it for 2 seasons and is holding up great. Also for boots big 5 has some decent boots for under $100 as well. Not sure how many seasons they'll last but with some good merino wool socks you should be in good shape. Look at walmart.com for some camo jackets, shirts and pants. I found some realtree camo for a great price last year and everything has held up the last 2 seasons with no issues. As others have mentioned it's not always about the gear you have but how much time you're spending out in the field. The most expensive piece of gear I have are my Vortex knockers and I bought those through a payment plan at bass pro shop. You can order gear from them online and they'll break it up into 6 payments. They also have a good return policy.

Thanks everyone. This is the info I was looking for. I love good forums like. Most everyone is very helpful and have the experience to help noobs like me not waste money. Appreciate all the advice.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Good luck to you. Buy the best you can afford on boots. I also agree on light strong well Support boots. You feet will thank you.
You may need two pair of boots.
Warm weather and cold weather.
When I was very young just starting out and very broke I made the mistake of wearing leather not water proof boots in snow. Nearly got frost bite. Poor feet nearly icicle.

Same with clothing same deal as above.

To me pack packs are personal to try out.
Because we are all different. What works for me may not work for you.
Just reasearch the hell out of it. And look ahead what it's purpose will be
Lot guys here use hunting packs that use to carry out big game. And many will chime in.
Check the military packs. Army surplus, big and cheap. Try it out, save money and buy a better one later.

If you have a limited budget, would highly recommend buying a Craigslist backpacking backpack and spending the savings on gas/glass. You’ll be putting deer in the pack at most 2x a year (in state) . Another option is to buy any dirt cheap external frame pack and keep it in your vehicle, hunting out of any jansport daypack (anything that can hold a couple liters of water) until you need to haul meat.

Check Amazon. Just got an Alps Outdoorz Commander and now they are even cheaper at $97.00.
Good stuff.

I will second the Alpz Outdoor. I'm a cheap bastard and I just got the pack frame by itself(with the belt and straps).

ALPS Commander Lite

Then I just strapped a smaller pack onto it. Very modular; I can set it up a number of ways. I've only used it only one season to haul around a day's worth of gear, but it was pretty comfortable with about 20lbs of gear in it. If I wanted to pack out a deer, the plan was to remove smaller pack and strap in the meat, then strap the smaller pack back on. I was close enough past season to just drag my deer back though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu