Gear help for a noob

Mystery Ranch has sales from time to time. I have the Pintler, great pack that's relatively inexpensive. As for trying gear on/out in person, not many options around here.

Don't mean to not answer the question, but agree with the folks saying go with a basic backpack and save for good boots and glass.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I agree with people on boots. Hotspots and blisters are pretty annoying at the end of a long day. Shop around for a boot that fits your feet perfectly. I have both stiff and flexible boots, and I choose the flexible boot every time I go out now. I ended up with a pricier pair of Keen boots from REI, and it's been an investment I found worth it. I spent 7 days backpacking in Colorado this last fall, and I never got one hotspot or blister.
Good glass as well makes for a good time.
I don't own a great backpack, but I own some lower end multiday packs (Aplz and Hi-tec) and they've served me well on short and long trips. I would suggest an overnight pack at the very least in the grand scheme of backpack shopping (60 Liter pack or more). On that note, I've seen a guy carry a gutted deer on his shoulders out of a canyon for a good 2+ miles, so it's doable without it haha.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
If I can piggyback on this thread, I was reading an article in a hunting magazine where it said not to skimp on four items: boots, backpack, glass, and raingear.

Raingear was a little surprising -- is quality raingear something I should be investing heavily in? Doesn't seem as essential here in Southern CA, but not sure about other states. Plus I haven't gone on an extended backpack hunt yet which is my goal

If I can piggyback on this thread, I was reading an article in a hunting magazine where it said not to skimp on four items: boots, backpack, glass, and raingear.

Raingear was a little surprising -- is quality raingear something I should be investing heavily in? Doesn't seem as essential here in Southern CA, but not sure about other states. Plus I haven't gone on an extended backpack hunt yet which is my goal
If you're just hunting SoCal I'd say you're fine, but it's pretty miserable turkey hunting in a rare rainstorm here with no rain gear.

Can't remember the last time I used rain gear during our 16 season...Turkey, fishing, and waterfowl mostly here in SoCal

.032.JPG

You do need to carry some rain gear. If you're out and about long enough, you WILL get caught in a Monsoon/T-Storm. At least a Jacket shell.

Note: Rain gear pants? They are delicate. If on your hike-out you have to get down on your knees to crawl under a fallen log blocking the trail, it will likely tear the membrane on the knees.

Man... one night hiking back outta D11... it was CRAZY! First it started getting very humid where your breath hangs in the air for a long time.. then it was light rain, ok no problem. Then? Geez man... I couldn't see 3-5ft in front of my face! Thankfully by then I'd hit the dirt road I would just follow up. But MAN it was CRAZY! I had to hug the side of the road the whole way up so I wouldn't miss the turn-off trail that would take me back to the Hwy.

Also... if you use Camo Gun Wraps.. if you get caught in a rain like that, the moment you get home, take it off Immediately! And maybe even re-touch-up with a bit of oil on the outside of your rifles barrel.

I left that camo wrap on there until the next day, and there was already rust trying to form!

Then D15 in Bow Season it was a major Monsoon/T-Storm I got caught out in. It was a little nervy to because the lighting was cracking I swear right above my head! Thankfully that one was daytime so I could just wait it out where I was at under trees. Neat thing about storms like that is they wipe the slate clean for tracks, so on the way back out when you see them you're like "Ding! Ding! Ding!" cause you know they just passed thru.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu