Getting ready....D16 and the 300yds target

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
image.jpeg Went to the range Sunday to shoot the 44, 38, 9 & 204 also help my mentored 15yr old and his dad on the 270 on the 300yrd range. So I shoot the 44 and doing good at 50 eventhough black target with black sites is a PITA. First line up off target then move over to the target by the end I was just point and shoot and doing even better.....I guess after 200 rounds you better get it or just toss it

So back to the 270 at 300yds for the kid. He's done the two shots to foul the barrel then he gets on the 300 target and he's dropping left & low then he's high and right and he's getting frustrated. He said it's the gun.....his dad has already told him it's the shooter. So I give it a try and first shot 6" low center perfect it's zero at 200. I tell him see it's the shooter, I'm using blocks of wood under my gun case and I can barely see the damn target......it sucks to get old!
So he goes back grabs a sled and sets up. I tell him do a few dry fires first. Right off the bat he's pulling the trigger and he has it resting between the first joint. So I walk him through the trigger bend.....first a light touch and not in the joint but just before it. Then I tell him it's more of a bend of that finger tip don't move anything else and go slow. A few dry fires and he has it down he loads up and two shots 1" out of bull both just right. So we take a break and 10 minutes later I mess his sled up so he has to reset it up. He doesn't like this but knows it's him not the gun so he's listening but resistant.....damn kids and YouTube.

So he's set up on the sled he does 5 dry fires and everyone of them is a perfect trigger bend. So he loads one.....I have been coaching all day how you must split your brain 1/2 keeping the target in the cross hairs while concentrating on the the trigger.
He's ready and gets the perfect suprise boom. perfect shot 1" out of the center ring aiming 5-6" high at 300yds. So he fires another but he pulled the trigger just a little but he was surprised. It move 2" right and low. So we start again with the dry fire and go over the 1/2 brain thinking and boom right on the bull at 300.

He's happy and now knows how to do it......then we go to the short range and bang away the pistols & the 22 rifle. Just as we start to pack it up we go over what worked and how to get the 300 bull all the time.....1/2 brain, light touch and slow bend with a suprise. Then I hit him with the next step....next time start with the sled and lots of dry fires shoot a round or two but do it slow. THEN ditch the sled and use the blocks & pack as your rest a real world hunting situation. I told him he should do fine just make sure your chest is touching the table and the rest feels good and steady.

Mark,

Great write-up and shooting lesson.....So, 6" high at 300 yds is dead on at 200 yds?

ps.....Just sighted in my dads old Rem .270.....12" low at 300 yds, but dead on at 100 yds.....Right on for someone that can't even see 300 yds.....;)

Last edited:
My rig is set up
zero at 25
3" high at 100
zero at 300

same here, eyes are worn .

great Job there Mark.

God Bless
Lee

Last edited:
No it's 6" low at 300 so he was aiming at the top ring so the 6" drop is bullseye at 300 and it's 17" low at 400

steve

I use trajectory calculators. it all changes on the type caliber, bullet type, bullet size & weight.
google ballistic calculator and input all good stuff.,

I then take to the field and setup my rig, I like using small grain bullets, like 90- 125, & 150.
when I had good eye sight I would practice at 300 and 500 yards. just so I knew I could do it.

Steve, your ammo manufacture will have the details on their box or web site.....I'm guessing 4.5 low

what is this ammo in a box you speak of? NBK told me i have to make all my own ammo and that it has to be a wildcat

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu