Getting smrt, "trained", tough to call summer yotes.

Re: Getting smrt, "trained", tough to call yotes.

MJB said:
Go to toy r us they have some toys that are battery operated movement......toss a fresh rabbit hide on it they will come a running.....or use bait.......maybe record a yappy neighbors dog and try that.....print a color picture on line and make a cut out then just place a used dog collar on it for scent.

When they get smart you need to give them sound, sight and smell......when really smart snare which is a challenge and you learn even more about this predator.

hahahaha I like the toys that are battery operated.

Here's a question...if I have a pretty good idea where they are, how far back should I set up?

Thanks

Yes it is the flambeau lone howler.

With regards to how far away you should set up it just depends on how close you think you can get without being busted. Many times I have personally tried to get too close and then got busted so now I usually set up further away and let the caller do the work for me. With that being said I have also tried to call coyotes from a great distance and had the coyote turn his head and look in my direction and then go back to what he was doing like he was not interested in the distress sounds. At that point I picked up my gear and moved closer to that same coyote played the distress call again and had that coyote come right in. Sometimes they will travel from a great distance yet other times you have to move toward them. If you have a good idea where they are at I would say set up at least 500 to 600 yards away maybe further depending on terrain and go from there.

Reactions: Moves

Just got the CP4 light kit really nice anybody have this light?

~The C4P lights have 5 functions. HIGH - MED - LOW - STROBE - SOS
~ Your choice of Green, Red, White, Blue LED. Bulb itself comes in these colors. No colored lenses or filters to rob you of any lumens.
~The LED assembly and can be changed in the field in less than 30 seconds if needed.
~Replacement color LEDS are readily available and easy to change yourself with a screw of a cap.
~The combination of an extra long reflector bezel and screw on LED bulb, combine to eliminate light focus adjustment. With the LED as a part of the reflector, instead of being screwed into the light body, the LED is in perfect focus and adjustment. The light creates a nice halo around the main beam that is perfect for scanning, yet in the center, it keeps a nice bright beam for burning, thus, no adjustment is needed. Super handy.
~Operation temperature: below freezing to 105* plus.
~O-ring sealed. Water resistant, weather resistant
~Precision machined T6061 aircraft grade aluminum with type 3 hard anodization making this light damn near bulletproof.
~Extra long and deep bezel that is highly polished and coated in aluminum.
~CREE LED with 50,000 hr life rated bulb.
~Powered by a single 3.7 volt Lithium-ion 2400mAh battery INCLUDED!!!
~Internal battery charging capability. Charger plugs right into the light body for charging.

Sorry MJB, can't comment on that light. I think I'm gonna try the new Wicked light when it comes out.

I'm starting to learn some things about summer or tough yote hunting, some of which have already been posted.

Re: distance...on the last coyote I got(yesterday), I had an idea where he might be (same place I got the last one) and called from 400+yards out. He popped out of cover, looked around, sat around, rolled around a few minutes, and went back in. Not interested in any sound I could come up with, or my cardboard coyote decoy, haha. He may not have been able to see it, it blended in too well with the dirt I think. I had to do a big sneak and get closer, within shooting distance...tried a little different call, and he popped out, boom! So what I learned is you gotta know where they are hangin' out, gotta SCOUT, which is tough in the heat, and be out in the evening after sundown when they howl so you know where they were bedded during the day. Then get sneaky and get close enough to hit them and try to coax them out.

Lesson two I learned this morning. GLASS (binoculars), esp. on your way in. I was on my way to a spot at sunrise and stopped to glass, spotted what I think was a mature male working his way along a path I knew they used. I was a several hundred yards away...I couldn't see him without binos, but he could see my vehicle. I was far enough away that he wasn't concerned, but if I had stopped and called, I think he would have called my bluff...not that they come to calls much this time of year anyway. I have a bad feeling I may have not been glassing enough on my way in. You never know for sure where they are, and you might drive right past one, or let him see you park and set up.

To finish that story, I drove on ahead trying to act all casual and normal until I was out of sight and could park and walk (paying attention to the wind) to cut him off. I was ready and waiting, but another vehicle came by behind me and spooked him, I couldn't get a good shot with him on the run, couldn't get him to stop, and then he got to where I was looking into the sun as he turned away. No biggie, next time. I don't mind them getting away as long as I don't miss!

make sure your hunting in an area lights are legal, Have you tried some hand calls they may work better for you since the yotes seem to know the e-call sounds. Also if you put out that dog food add some corn to it. They can not digest it so you can follow their scat right to where they are or at lest see where they are coming from and going to.

sportyg said:
make sure your hunting in an area lights are legal, Have you tried some hand calls they may work better for you since the yotes seem to know the e-call sounds. Also if you put out that dog food add some corn to it. They can not digest it so you can follow their scat right to where they are or at lest see where they are coming from and going to.

I got a Primos Hot Dog open reed call, getting the hang of making all kinds of kool noises with it. ;D

I know what you mean about the corn. I see a lot of scat with mesquite beans in it. I think it's hungry youngsters that haven't learned to hunt very well yet.

I think I may have found the reason I've had no luck getting the coyotes that a friend asked me to come hunt around his place, which is what got me started into this madness.

Frogs. Yup.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/killing-coyotes-101-daytime-and-night-hunting-problem-coyotes/

This is a good article, IMO....my buddy's place has a few shallow drains running around it that are chock full of frogs, and they are easy pickins. The only places I have had success this summer didn't have frogs.

I went out and tried to ambush Mr. Wiley on his "frog line" early this morning, but just like the article mentions, you can't depend on them being too regular too much. He didn't show and I didn't see much recent sign like I had been seeing, must have changed his commute a bit.

I scouted some other areas in the desert instead of the fields that look much easier to sneak in and out of, found an unused den, and places that I'm pretty sure have dens back in them. I'm sure they're getting pressure there, too...but no frogs.

My light should be here soon...it will be interesting to see how the night hunting goes.

Handgun said:
I think I may have found the reason I've had no luck getting the coyotes that a friend asked me to come hunt around his place, which is what got me started into this madness.

Frogs. Yup.

My light should be here soon...it will be interesting to see how the night hunting goes.

Get ready for tunnel vision

Sometimes its best to find a den and sit near it early morning or late evening,eventually they go in or out! Jackrabbit distress works in slow increments every 15min ;D

Crosman999 said:
Sometimes its best to find a den and sit near it early morning or late evening,eventually they go in or out! Jackrabbit distress works in slow increments every 15min ;D

I have spots that have multiple dens... not like 1 or 2... like 20+. Found myself sitting on top of a boulder one day and in front of the boulder was a little cutout I couldn't see and a den full of pups yipping at first light. Exhilarating feeling to say the least. Interesting to see how they change up the area they den in depending on weather, food, water. Some places are easier to pattern than others, and right when you think you got them figured out, they're gone.

Reactions: AndrewSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu