Ghost turkeys....

BangBangBrandon

Jan 22, 2018
San Marcos, CA
Well, as of yesterday I’ve been out on 3 turkey hunts, but since I don’t really know where I’m going, and still figuring this whole thing out, most of my hunts feel like scouting trips with a gun. I saw a turkey print last weekend but it looked old and the place I was hunting yesterday has temporarily been turned into a helipad. I see a bunch of you getting getting birds and I’m super jealous and right now all I wanna do is know I’m in a good spot and here a yelp, cluck or gobble! Please don’t take this as a complaint. Definitely the hardest hunting I’ve done as a newb! Just frustrated putting in all these miles with no real signs. Love watching the guys who’ve gotten their tom and reading the stories! Gets me super fired up! Keep ‘em coming!

Hopefully this will make you feel better. I would wager to say that I have turkey hunted no less than 30-40 days in my life and I still don’t have a bird. I have called them in for other people who have harvested and I have had one miss. Bottom line Turkey hunting SoCal is not for the faint of heart.

Brandon,

1st off, most the turkeys you see on here and other websites are from private property.....The guys that get them on public land work hard to find out of the way spots that hold birds.....The spots that everyone can get to are pounded.....Birds leave and find the canyon where they don't get harassed....Also, guys are getting discouraged (quieter woods)....Try week-days, if possible too.

The area you're hunting is not only hunted heavily, but SDGE helicopters going in and out has scared just about every animal from the area.....I would totally avoid that place.

Talked to a guy a couple of days ago that hunted a pretty popular area and actually saw his 1st turkeys where he could shoot.....Unfortunately, he wasn't very stealth and bumped them.....But now in the memory bank, he knows a spot that has turkeys in the vicinity....Don't just walk.....Look, walk, call, listen....Look, walk, call, listen.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: BangBangBrandon
Thanks! Doing a lot of walk, look, call, listen. And I’m bouncing around in areas. Had no idea my last spot was infested by SDGE til it was too late. I only hunt on Fridays. I feel like I’ve learned a lot from this site. Trying to use all the advice and tactics I’ve heard in recent posts! I just got keep pounding the dirt I guess and keeping my eyes and ears open..... or move outta state, that’s an option! Lol!

Keep at it brother! Been here 2 years now in SD county. Only have had hens in my decoy(s). Yesterday saw my first group of jakes on public land, and they are not talking.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

when i saw this thread all i could think was OMG they have 80% turkeys running around with out numbers on them and they can fire 5k rounds a second out of a chip clip.
@kevinDeLeon

where ever your hunting talk to some of the locals ( they may give u some tips or not) talk to the game warden, BLM or forest service people you see around the area you want to hunt as well

Hopefully this will make you feel better. I would wager to say that I have turkey hunted no less than 30-40 days in my life and I still don’t have a bird. I have called them in for other people who have harvested and I have had one miss. Bottom line Turkey hunting SoCal is not for the faint of heart.
Amen

Spent many days out hunting those ghosts. Still haven't taken one. One of my fondest memories was sitting for over an hour trying to move a big tom across a stream. I usually don't talk to people that long.

Reactions: msailor
I’m in the same boat. Lots of hikes with my bow over the last few weeks. Saw two hens today while glassing and tried to see what I could call in hoping there were others in the area, but no luck. Can get a bit discouraging, but I have to look at the positives and say it at least gets me outdoors.

Good luck out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever I go hunting I always tell my wife “I’m going hiking with my gun”. Also, remember most people post only when they’re successful, so you’re not seeing reports of all the game-less hikes taking place. Good luck!

My confession : Me :Father its been 3 years since my last turkey.
Father: tell me about it my son.
Me: been on 6 such game-less hikes this season, 4 of which didn't see or hear any type of a sign that there were turkeys in the area, one trip heard about 3 faint gobbles never saw them or heard them again, when I did finally see a gobbler he was down in some oaks with 3 hens on private land
I believe his return gobbles were telling me" stop yelping I've already got 3 hens".
Father : don't be dismayed my son, stick to it and your reward will be that much more satisfying.

Hey Brandon,

This year I took out a friend that was just like you, new to turkey hunting and wanted to learn the ropes. We went 3 times to spots that I learned had birds (scouting after duck season is the key...but does NOT guarantee they will be there in late March). He made all the mistakes a new hunter would: Movement, making noise, lack of patience, calling at one location only to walk away 10mins later and the bird shows up 45mins later...you get the idea). We saw birds through binos...plenty of them...on private land...they would look over at us, but with those mistakes being made, there was no chance.

Per another hunter (Johnny) I ran into that week who has been hunting this location for 17 yrs, 3 birds were taken on the opener, 2 by noobs in a blind! So, don't get discouraged.

I have become friends with another hunter I ran into while hunting another location, Phil, who has been at it for a few years. We now share our findings via phone calls after a hunt. I think that is also a key to success out here...Find someone who you trust and share results (what you saw/heard, how many, hunters, etc) If either of you are successful in taking a Tom, you can both feel satisfied.

I feel a hunter network is key to SoCal hunting...not to give away spots, but to share findings and knowledge. For example, this year, the birds seem to be coming out later in the day, not after flydown...as there are so many hens to choose from...the 11-3pm timeframe is when the Toms are looking for "action". That is not what I experienced 3 years ago...but that type of knowledge is key and is only discovered by your hunter network and being out in the field. Always go to the local NWTF meeting Mag1 posted about, and maybe....just maybe...one of those "old timers" will open up (after a few beers)...

PM me if you want to exchange numbers...

SoCal turkey hunting is probably one of the hardest hunts in the nation. It requires a lot of days scouting prior to the season and lots of days out hunting. Just hang in there and keep at it.

Here’s some advise to what helped me be successful on public land. I first started turkey hunting in the county on the first season. At that time the only turkey on public land was a radio collard hen that nested in Descanso. I didn’t hear my first gobble on public land until 96 and didn’t kill my first public land bird until 97.

Try hunting public land that borders private land that has turkeys. It’s jot easy to call them off private land but it can happen. Work on your turkey calling, add realism, listen to what the real hens ar doing and copy them. Spend a lot of days scouting, I scout while deer hunting. Get involved with local NWTF chapter and learn about turkey behavior and biology. When you learn what turkeys do, you’ll start to figure out what they do.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu