gift to self

TJD123

Jun 3, 2013
Hey guys I decided to spoil my self after landing my first job after finishing college. I've always wanted a remington 700 and have decided to do some what of a "build" off their sps model. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps.aspx

Here is something that I saw online and will be using as a guide. http://www.huntthewest.com/2012/7mmSTW3.php

I've decided on a 260. But from there I'm on the fence about what to do. I definitely will be replacing the stock, maybe with an HS precision or something long those lines. I also want to cerakote it to help make it a little bit more weather proof.

Who ever customized this rifle (http://www.huntthewest.com/2012/7mmSTW3.php) fluted the barrel and bolt as well as skeletonized the bolt handle. I don't think the cost of having this done can justify the benefits. It seems that this only shed a few ounces of the weight of the gun.

Any thoughts, warnings or suggestions are welcome! And of course Ill keep this thread updated as this comes together!

TJ,

Sounds like a cool set-up........ 8)

Although, I think I would've kept the old school 30-06. Well, because I'm old........... :D

Steve,

With out a doubt that 30-06 is a great rig. But I'd rather see it in the hands of someone such as yourself who'll use and appreciate it as much as I did rather than have it sit in my safe..also the money from it is going to help fund this new set up.

gift to self

Given that you've posted this thread under "long range rifles", I assume you want better muzzle velocity and ballistics than the venerable .30-06 can deliver. 30-06 is a great round, but it's not built for long range use.

Re: gift to self

Bonejour said:
Given that you've posted this thread under "long range rifles", I assume you want better muzzle velocity and ballistics than the venerable .30-06 can deliver. 30-06 is a great round, but it's not built for long range use.

Carlos Hathcock might have a different opinion...

Attachments

• Carlos.jpg
    Carlos.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 61
NBK said:
Bonejour said:

Carlos Hathcock might have a different opinion...
Picky picky. Granted, if you are good enough with a howitzer to hit a 4 inch target at 600+ yards with a holdover of several feet, not to mention windage, who cares how much kinetic energy the projectile has left to deliver?
And here I thought you'd be so lathered up over his preference for .260 you wouldn't take time to school me on a very slight generalization!
;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu