Good Day in the Turkey Woods

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Hunted with Jacob yesterday (Stefanie had to work... :().....Started the morning off with 3 jakes coming in.....Little guys with really, no visible beards, but boy did they gobble!.....Really fooled me until I saw them......Awhile later, put a visual on a big boy and knowing this property, I had a good idea where he's end up......Sure enough, he came up the same trail......It was his last sneak around......17.10 lbs, 8" beard, 7/8" spurs (actually it had the start of double spurs).

My bird came from a totally different spot and used to be a bow only.....This spring I convinced the owner that my little .410 wouldn't make much noise.....After calling this guy within 18 yds, the little 870 that could let loose.....Dead On Arrival!.....The lady said she didn't even hear me shoot.....Perfect..... ;)

My bird was strange in the sense in that it only weighted 14-10 lbs. Yet had a 9 1/2" beard, and solid 1" spurs.

I never get tired of turkey hunting, but after 8 straight days.....I'm taking Easter Sunday off.....Boy, it was nice sleeping in till 5:30 am...... :D

Attachments

• IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    975.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    650 KB · Views: 41
Sounds like a lot of fun. Nice looking place too. Congrats on a couple great birds. Now I know why it is written on the bathroom wall up at Henshaw, (FOR A GOOD TIME CALL STEVE) :D

ilovesprig said:
Snake Charmer said:
I recognize the hills behind you in the photo :-X

You should Fred......They're right down the street from your place...... ;D
Good times Steve, congrats! Recognize the gate too
lol

Congrats to you both! You definitely deserve it after hunting hard! Hmm... I may need to give you a call, if Jacobs bird was taken where I think it was, there's no sense in me chasing that bird anymore lol

Tom,

We weren't on MCC......But, I haven't seen the bird in 18 either......Hunted MG hard today......Never even saw a hen.......Heard a couple of distant gobbles before flydown in the conservancy.....Long day!

ilovesprig said:
Don,

How'd it go the last couple of days?......Back at 'em tomorrow for me...... ;)
Steve, you're a machine. Got called to work Sunday, and long days since then. I'll be back at it again Sunday. Good luck tomorrow.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu