Good maps to have

Sam C

Apr 1, 2015
So I've been doing a lot of research from various places and I've read multiple articles on the proper maps to use during hunting season. I'm just curious to what maps I need to carry (new hunter here) so that I don't aquire any hefty fines or jail time. I would hate to upset a landowner. Thanks in advance.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

these maps are real good showing private property boundaries,national forest,blm land,available for your gps or your smart phone the app for your phone has a 7 day free trial check it out.
happy hunting!

steveo007 said:

these maps are real good showing private property boundaries,national forest,blm land,available for your gps or your smart phone the app for your phone has a 7 day free trial check it out.
happy hunting!

literally the best $30 i spent on hunting gear,

I also recommed it. One of the best map apps I have seen as well. I've tried as least 4 and this one has a lot more info that others did not.

Can this be used on multiple devices? Like computer, phone, and gps? Or have to purchase separate for phone and gps?

I've used it in iPhone and iPad. They are the company that makes the premium chips for Garmin (at $99 per state ) but that's additional cost and completely separate deal.

I know your looking for a portable map but for those of you that scout online for places to check out I found the website above that is really accurate for private vs. public.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=38.625662,-120.992461&z=9&t=h,Public_land&markers=||||title=%3Cb%3E%3Ca%20href=%27http://wildfire.cr.usgs.gov/arcgis/services/geomac_dyn/MapServer/WMSServer?request=GetLegendGraphic&version=1.3.0&format=image/png&layer=1%27%20target=%27_blank%27%3ELegend%3C/a%3E%3C/b%3E&wms=http://wildfire.cr.usgs.gov/ArcGIS/services/geomac_dyn/MapServer/WMSServer?name=Public_land&layers=1&transparent=true

Hope this helps some people.

steveo007 said:

happy hunting!

x2

However, I've found errors to the maps and boundaries. It doesn't stop me from using it though. Kinda enjoy the errors for personal reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents is that no map is going to keep you from getting a ticket if someone wants to give you a ticket. It will help if you have to go fight the ticket. I have CNF, BLM, and electronic maps on my phone. There's a place I know of that has established boundaries on all maps but in real life, the boundaries are off by upwards of 1/4 mile. Enough to get you a ticket. A lot of times, when people are producing maps, they replicate what people have already determined to be boundaries even though there may have been adjustments. Always confirm your map boundary with real life boundaries if you can.

8SteelTown said:
My 2 cents is that no map is going to keep you from getting a ticket if someone wants to give you a ticket. It will help if you have to go fight the ticket. I have CNF, BLM, and electronic maps on my phone. There's a place I know of that has established boundaries on all maps but in real life, the boundaries are off by upwards of 1/4 mile. Enough to get you a ticket. A lot of times, when people are producing maps, they replicate what people have already determined to be boundaries even though there may have been adjustments. Always confirm your map boundary with real life boundaries if you can.

This works in reverse too......A little story concerning CNF property lands...... I found a piece of land that was marked and posted by a large land owner. Per my CNF map and GPS coordinates, I knew the no trespassing signs and fence were inside the CNF boundary by about 100 yds.....This 100 yds made all the difference when turkey hunting this spot....To make a long story short. A game warden rolled up on my old roomie and I. And he said he was going to write us a citation for hunting on private prop.....I told him I was on "MY" land and could prove it.....Anytime the CNF takes a turn (angle), there's a stone marker.....When we followed the line into the brush. Sure enough there was a CNF marker with an old forest boundary sign.....His only comment after that was...."Man, I wrote a lot of tickets here"....... ???

ilovesprig said:
8SteelTown said:

This works in reverse too......A little story concerning CNF property lands...... I found a piece of land that was marked and posted by a large land owner. Per my CNF map and GPS coordinates, I knew the no trespassing signs and fence were inside the CNF boundary by about 100 yds.....This 100 yds made all the difference when turkey hunting this spot....To make a long story short. A game warden rolled up on my old roomie and I. And he said he was going to write us a citation for hunting on private prop.....I told him I was on "MY" land and could prove it.....Anytime the CNF takes a turn (angle), there's a stone marker.....When we followed the line into the brush. Sure enough there was a CNF marker with an old forest boundary sign.....His only comment after that was...."Man, I wrote a lot of tickets here"....... ???

Thanks for that info! I'll be sure to look for their boundary lines when using a map aswell. I feel bad for all those people who received a citation at that location.

Another option of maps for those who are still low tech like me.
I purchased this map from Cleveland national forest office on Rancho bernado rd for $18. Easy to carry on hunt and hike and the best, never run out of battery!!haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 34

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu