Good Shot Gun for New Hunter

barretwm

Oct 20, 2018
I have a brother in law who approached me yesterday and was inquiring about shotguns and rifles. He wants to start getting into hunting and asked what he would need or want. What is everyones kinda starter go to, for the shotgun I just said get a Rem 870 12ga wingmaster make sure it has chokes. For the rifle he didn't want to go bolt action wants a lever action, he said he wanted 30/30 or 45/70, his family is from Wyoming. I suggested for ease of finding non leaded ammo to get something in 308/6.5CM. If I can talk him into it I would say get a Ruger American, any other thoughts. Also he has a 11 year old son, not sure if he will have interest, I started with a Rem 1100 youth 20ga, didn't transition to 12 until I was mid teens. Just to get more bang for the buck would you suggest a 20ga for him? He has shot skeet and and trap in the past with borrowed weapons, I have multiple shotguns (SBE 1, w/ H&K stamp still on it, Citori Sporting Clays ed, and old Winchester Mod 12) to take him out with and get started on, but he wants his own. Thoughts and Spears thrown are appreciated.

If that's what he wants and it gets him excited to get in the outdoors then I would tell him to go for it.

He is handicapping himself a bit though. I think a bolt action rifle (like you mentioned) and an auto shotgun are superior but to each their own.

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
I have a brother in law who approached me yesterday and was inquiring about shotguns and rifles. He wants to start getting into hunting and asked what he would need or want. What is everyones kinda starter go to, for the shotgun I just said get a Rem 870 12ga wingmaster make sure it has chokes. For the rifle he didn't want to go bolt action wants a lever action, he said he wanted 30/30 or 45/70, his family is from Wyoming. I suggested for ease of finding non leaded ammo to get something in 308/6.5CM. If I can talk him into it I would say get a Ruger American, any other thoughts. Also he has a 11 year old son, not sure if he will have interest, I started with a Rem 1100 youth 20ga, didn't transition to 12 until I was mid teens. Just to get more bang for the buck would you suggest a 20ga for him? He has shot skeet and and trap in the past with borrowed weapons, I have multiple shotguns (SBE 1, w/ H&K stamp still on it, Citori Sporting Clays ed, and old Winchester Mod 12) to take him out with and get started on, but he wants his own. Thoughts and Spears thrown are appreciated.

Lots of good (enough) semi shotguns out there for the same money as a 870 (and, they're not the same as the old 870's)...Have him go to a store and pick them up...A 20 gauge these days can kill anything bird wise...A fine choice for the boy...6.5 CM is a good all around caliber and I would convince him that a bolt action is the way to go in any rifle...2 cents

ps...How much for the SBE 1?.... :blush:

Last edited:
I wished someone would have asked me the following questions :

What do you want to hunt?
Where do you think you will be hunting?
What time of the year is the most flexible for you to hunt?
Would you want to involve the family?
Would you travel out of state to hunt? Do you have access to private land out of state?
If you are hunting public. Are you in shape to carry a heavy rifle for miles? Are you ok with long hikes?

I wished someone would have explained to me the following :

Resident VS Non resident tags and the likelihood to get them.
General knowledge of the point system.
The cost of hunting out state DIY VS Guided.
Firearms are just a small piece of the investment pie. Glass and all other gear are nowadays a necessity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is hard to go wrong with a 20ga Semi (New hunters would not really miss a 12ga unless they want to hunt Waterfowl IMO) My first and only Shotgun is a Mossberg SA-20. It shoots 2 3/4 and 3" shells. Great for small game and small birds yet the right choke and ammo can work great for Turkey. You don't like the Black synthetic? Wrap it! a different camo every year..
I think a cheap ass single bolt riffle can be hit or miss as a great new hunter rifle...you can get lucky but it could also have some annoying issues. I think a Tika is an excellent compromise.
Lever actions are sweet! If you want to hunt pigs and for closer range deer shots but they can leave you at a disadvantage at longer distances.

Reactions: sportyg and MAG 1
Lots of good (enough) semi shotguns out there for the same money as a 870 (and, they're not the same as the old 870's)...Have him go to a store and picked them up...A 20 gauge these days can kill anything bird wise...A fine choice for the boy...6.5 CM is a good all around caliber and I would convince him that a bolt action is the way to go in any rifle...2 cents

ps...How much for the SBE 1?.... :blush:
It’s priceless

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ilovesprig
You looking for a SBE I Steve? I have a I and a II that i rarely shoot..... haven't really thought about getting rid of but.......How much they going for these days?

Ron,

Don't really know, and I have 5 SBE's...Is it camo, low rib, and barrel length?

I hate the fitment of every 870 I've handled. If I want to miss more and experience more recoil the 870 is the gun for the job. I don't understand why they are still so widely recommended as a default shotgun to get into first, they're really not that great. My suggestion is that there are a decent number of good budget SA to pick from. Go to a shop and handle and throw up the different guns. Get the one that'll shoulder and feel the best to him.

Reactions: sportyg
I think your recommendations are sound. I do have a few thoughts on 870s however. I used to recommend the 870 express as a starter gun back when you could pick them up at big5 for $350 on sale, it’s how I got mine way back when. It’s a solid gun with lots of aftermarket parts if you want to doll it up. Over the years I’ve replaced my stock, added a sling, bought a shorter barrel for turkey, etc. Best upgrade was replacing the silly J lock safety button with a normal one so I never had to worry about losing the key.

Nowadays I’m not so sure. With Remington’s issues, I worry about support and factory part availability, at least for the present. The express also seems to have been replaced with the field master which, while probably better finished (a really weak point of the express), it’s much more expensive from what I’ve seen in turners ads.

Probably the best value pump is the mossberg 88 Maverick but as others have said, you can get pretty cheap Turkish autos these days. I know someone with a Dickensan which runs well. I don’t know how part availability is for Turkish autos. I’ve always thought the Turkish mossberg SA guns looked pretty sweet and they have a great reputation. The 870 is still as good as ever but between price and availability, it’s well worth looking at other options.

For a starter center fire rifle, the Ruger American or Savage Axis are probably where it’s at. Cheap and accurate. You probably get more mileage splurging on a scope than a rifle these days. Any common cartridge should be fine. 243win, 25-06, 270win, 308win, 30-06, 6.5cm are available and copper bullets work fine in all them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu