Got an Itch to Scratch

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
So for the last two years (since I moved into a new house) I have been driving by a house that has a minimum of 15 3D targets, deer, coyotes, pigs, etc. All backed up by sand barriers made by tractors it looks like.
I have been wanting to knock on the gentleman's door and introduce myself. However, I am well aware of how people feel about hunting and their personal possessions and I don't want to offend the gentleman who lives there or be bothersome.
Im more interested in the knowledge and camaraderie specifically, compared to shooting his targets. I really value the hunting community and I like to surround myself with like minded individuals.

Does anyone have any opinions on how to approach a persons house and the conversation, potentially asking for permission to shoot his archery targets and possibly creating a new friendship?
I really don't want to offend the home owner or leave a bad taste in his mouth. At the same time, I am an educated college student and obviously wouldn't approach this situation in a disrespectful manner what so ever.

Or should I just avoid the entire situation and forget about it?

Any suggestions or strategies on how you guys might have spoken with a property owner and got permission would be much appreciated. Thanks Guys.

knock on his door and ask if it was ok to practice with him. and if he say's no thank him. and move on. if say yes, well that's the beginning of a new brother.

Ghost said:
knock on his door and ask if it was ok to practice with him. and if he say's no thank him. and move on. if say yes, well that's the beginning of a new brother.

So simple yet not that easy I feel like.....
Thanks for the advice.

How you react and what you say is up to the conversation you have with the landowner.....I always state my name, then I would say that I was admiring his set-up (everyone likes to hear they have cool stuff).....Tell him you're just getting into bow hunting and wondered where you could shoot 3-D targets. Also talk bow hunting and such (be likable, but not over bearing)......He's obviously really into it.......At this point, if he doesn't invite you to shoot his, he's probably not going too.....Don't push the issue and maybe stop by another time.

Remember you're selling yourself in the 1st minutes you meet him (or her).....If they trust or feel comfortable with you, you're half way there..... ;)

I know you guys are semi joking about the beer, but I can tell you this......I never offer money, beer, or any other kind of compensation for permission.....After I get to know them, yes.....My best relationships with land owners is always a handshake.

I d not live within walking distance, he's about three miles at the bottom of a mountain from me.

Hunting is a conversation I can have for many many hours.... so as long as we can get to that point Im confident it'll be a simple conversation although, sometimes I have difficulty selling myself because I'm relatively passive and practice humility.

I feel that when you offer someone beer or money out right it looks very desperate and kind of like a bribe. That said if permission is granted and things workout then yeah small gifts to show my appreciation are def in order.

Shoot this is helping me build up the confidence.... maybe this weekend ill try to stop by.

Thanks for all the advice guys! This forum is invaluable.......

Jdrivsd619 said:
I d not live within walking distance, he's about three miles at the bottom of a mountain from me.

Hunting is a conversation I can have for many many hours.... so as long as we can get to that point Im confident it'll be a simple conversation although, sometimes I have difficulty selling myself because I'm relatively passive and practice humility.

I feel that when you offer someone beer or money out right it looks very desperate and kind of like a bribe. That said if permission is granted and things workout then yeah small gifts to show my appreciation are def in order.

Shoot this is helping me build up the confidence.... maybe this weekend ill try to stop by.

Thanks for all the advice guys! This forum is invaluable.......

instead of giving the beer as a gift, just have a couple yourself to build your confidence just don't over do it , it could have adverse effects and ruin it forever

That is definitely an option although I'm not a big drinker :mad: Its funny though because sometimes it seems like people don't trust me since i prefer not to drink casually :D

I may be old fashion, but I am with Steve. don't like people coming to my door who have liquor on their breath. unless I know them, and they bring me some. and I like what they bring. No seriously lots of good advice here. keep the the booze out until you know them. I find that some people are funny, Steve is better at than I am, but feel the best way to start is practice with them at a neutral location . Good Luck Brother.

Really interesting dilemma. You'd love to shoot on the course but you'd never want to invite yourself. Got it. Personally I'd just introduce myself and make the observation that he's obviously like-minded in that he likes to use a bow. Ask what bow he shoots, what shop he uses for supplies and for tuning his bow, what game does he like to hunt, and how. I'd bring something along as a gift. If you grow vegetables, take some along. If you have a favorite sausage or cut of meat in the freezer, bring it. He's going to know why you knocked on his door. You won't be the first to have eyed his setup and coveted a chance to share it. But you may be the first one to arrive bearing gifts. Win his friendship as you would with any other neighbor: with generosity and genuine interest.
That's my two cents.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu