Got another nice hog!

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Went out midday saturday to a completely different place and this time I took my trusty dogs Taro and Yuki out with me. I checked the area to make sure no one was deer hunting and after a short walk I heard my strike dog bark in a creek buttom. I hightailed it over the hill and caught up to the dogs and saw a nice boar squared off to the dogs. Taro did a excllent job to where he bayed and held the hog until I could get a clean shot. I was even able to get some ok video footage of the dogs working the hog.

Yuki's still a green dog so she did great baying the hog but keeping her distance, Taro just got in and got to business with the hog. Good thing he had his cut vest on! My dogs have been doing an awesome job the last year and a half, they have filled my deep freezer with quite a bit of pork so no complaints what so ever. Now I need to arrow a deer...

Attachments

• 160# Hog.JPG
    160# Hog.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
That is just awesome. What a team you have with you and your dogs. Great post, nice picture and a congratulations to you!

Thanks guys, thats weird I'm able to see the entire pic on my side. Anyone else having issues veiwing the pic?

Great job on these pigs, you have this down and I am really impressed with your dogs. Thanks for posting your pic, That is a really cool brown pig.

Thanks guys, I have taken several in the last 4 years but yeah this will be two in two weeks. The best I have ever done.

Matagi said:
Went out midday saturday to a completely different place and this time I took my trusty dogs Taro and Yuki out with me. I checked the area to make sure no one was deer hunting and after a short walk I heard my strike dog bark in a creek buttom. I hightailed it over the hill and caught up to the dogs and saw a nice boar squared off to the dogs. Taro did a excllent job to where he bayed and held the hog until I could get a clean shot. I was even able to get some ok video footage of the dogs working the hog.

Yuki's still a green dog so she did great baying the hog but keeping her distance, Taro just got in and got to business with the hog. Good thing he had his cut vest on! My dogs have been doing an awesome job the last year and a half, they have filled my deep freezer with quite a bit of pork so no complaints what so ever. Now I need to arrow a deer...
I"ll trade you my 4 dogs for 1 of yours! You got it going on, CONGRATS!!!!

Another nice hog ! Congrats !

If you have a small monitor you may need to scroll over by sliding the bar under the picture to see the right side.

Matagi said:
Thanks guys, thats weird I'm able to see the entire pic on my side. Anyone else having issues veiwing the pic?
Ya, on my laptop! You may need to resize them before you post. Not sure why, maybe I.M. and I are computer illiterate.

Nice job. You seem to be having the most local success. Relating to pig color, the group I photographed in 2009 was mostly dark colored. The babies were light brown with white spots like a deer. The picture I'm using for my profile picture is a CNF pig photographed in February 2009. I have a 10 second video of this one, but I need to figure out how to post it.

Wow great job, congrats! is there any chance you can post for us that video? I'll love to see the action!

No problem with the picture by the way!

I'm trying to download the video off my phone so soon as I can figure it out, I'll post it up. How do I get a vido on flickr on here?

Too bad many of the hogs that were on CNF have moved off to private land. If you know where the hogs are Toad, make sure to keep it quiet! I been running into tons of people from up north coming down here to hunt thinking that we are swarming with hogs. These people have made a mess of some of our public areas and some should not be carrying a firearm. Nice thing on the other hand about this is, they will keep the hogs moving around and off the roads.

Toad, your photo looks like the eurasian hog that was released by el cap, I have taken the majority of my hogs on the northern section of CNF where regular feral hogs were released back in the day. I'll try and post up some of the eurasians I took, you'll see a big difference in those and the two I took the last few weeks. They also have really different personalities when comfronted by my dogs. The eurasians run and run and run and when cornered, fight and fight and fight. The feral hogs run a little, hold their ground and fight some but much easier for my dogs to catch. My dogs are bred to hunt eurasian boars so they do really well against really agressive hogs.

If it's YouTube you just post the link. Not sure if Flicker is the same.

I'll ask some of my young friends at work if they can help me with the video. It was taken on an Olympus XD camera back in 2009. To clarify, this is not a hunting video, but a video of the pig on my profile picture rooting up the ground taken in February 2009 on CNF land. I was documenting the El Cap pigs and had permission to pass through private land. I made several trips on foot with pass through only permission and several foot trips using completely public land routes that required 15+ mile days. Hunting or possesion of weapons was not allowed. On one trip we made it into the middle of about 20 pigs, this was one of them. Out of the hundred or so photos I took, only several were clear. Really really hard not to shake in the middle of a herd of pigs. We were finally busted by the wind changing directions. I have never killed a pig, but hunted local deer, coyote, and fox most of my life in San Diego and I believe pigs have a nose on par or better then these critters. We managed to throw them a plum and several mint oreos on this trip and they squealed loudly when they found them. There were three sizes of wild pig in the group of approximately 20. Large ones like the profile picture, medium size ones that seemed much more aware of their surroundings, and small spotted ones as shown in the included photograph. I personally thought they were long gone from the so called "pig area" until I saw the one I wrote about a week or two ago. From the trail I followed, I believe it traveled a long distance (4+miles) in a very short period of time and was alone. The 2011 pig was extremely cautious, the 2009 pigs were almost "happy go lucky". The two of us were able to get those photos right before all hell broke loose with pig hunting on the west side of the Cuyamaca mountains. The resulting year or so featured a multitude of trespassing and illegal off-roading issues that have died down, but still pop up and resulted in all of us loosing some public land hunting access. I observed on these early trips bare ground, stripped of vegetation in the riparian areas. Acorns were not visible on the ground and the oak trees had grey rings around them on their bark a foot or two off the ground from rubbing. In 2011, numerous oak seedlines dot these areas that were bare dirt in 2009. I personally believe the pigs pushed in acorns with their feet and "planted" oak trees. Everything you read on-line about pigs talks about how destructive they are, but I believe live oak is an exception. Here's a picture of a large one and a baby from a 2009 trip...

Attachments

• P1010187low.jpg
    P1010187low.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 110
BuckHunter said:
If it's YouTube you just post the link. Not sure if Flicker is the same.

Just copy and paste the youtube link on your replay, the we can follow from there.

Nice pig pictures toad. As soon as the pigs make it into D11 from the north or south ( and they will some day) the LA folks will stop driving down to blow all your spots.

Yup those are pure eurasian hogs. I'll try to transfer pics of a nice 270lb boar I took near that area with the dogs, my older Kishu got a nice cut on his hined leg from that hog. I still have the skull in the freezer with nice near 3inch ivory. That was a fun trip having to make two trips to get the hog out of poison oak infested creek buttom with lots of ticks.

I really think these hogs will do quit good for our oak production but will probably impact the turkey and deer population. Last summer I found two turkey nests rooted up and smashed and many of the turkey flocks and deer I used to see are thinning out in areas with a good sounder of hogs. But I hope they produce well and take the pressure off the deer from the lions.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu