Got it done today

D16 ended! Wow, what a season.

Congrats on the buck. Way to keep at it.

Sunday morning I got out to glass before light. instantly saw a doe about 1000 yards away.. ten min later saw some horns so that was my cue and started making the accent. got to about 400-500yrds of the buck and 4 does popped out of nowhere a 100yrds from me and i couldn't move. As the does were feeding I kept my eyes on the buck.. had a couple of minutes to watch him feed and think of a way i could get around the does but they had me road blocked. I started to notice the buck was starting to feed away from me and going to cover. I got on a nice steady rest and decided if i felt good about the shot I would give it a try being the last day of the season. At this time i saw his full set of antlers and THEY WERE BIG. Looked to be a nice tall 3x3 or big fork. So i took my time breathed and let it loose. The does go running off as well as the buck and another buck I never even saw which looked like the one i missed a couple weeks back, which i reported on this site titled (nice buck got a haircut) anyways now looking back at it now I know it was a dumb shot to take. way out of my comfort range of 350 and i think i even thought that when i took the shot, i think i just wanted it too much...anyways.. I give it some time approx 30 to 40 minutes just in case my hail mary landed..I slowly approach, glassing every 15 yards... knocking up about 200 dove, haha and guess what there he is about 100yrds away getting up from his bed....staring right at me looking healthy as ever wondering what the hell I was.. nice tall thick forkie. I got my scope on him and tried to get a shot on him but off hand my crosshairs are going everywhere and i decide to not shoot so i try to get a shot kneeling but he meanders into the cover..... I quickly move to try to get another shot at him hoping he tries to cross the creek bed but i lose him. But just then i notice 4 does running up the hill right in from of me, so i got my scope on them hoping the big fork ran up with them and while checking their heads for horns i spot this guy and feeling confident I missed my chance at the big guy I chose to take him. probably the smallest deer in the area but last day what the hell, no time to be picky. put it right behind the shoulder blade bullet exited through his neck from a quartering away shot and all I remember seeing where hooves in the air. I knew he was history. Later I double checked just to be sure I didn't hit the other one, no blood where he was bedded and no sign of blood anywhere within 50 yards radius plus seeing him walk off unaffected by the shot I confirmed it was a clean miss and pretty glad It was. I did have to call in some help finding this guy though. Thanks again to Cgruwell05, He was the one who found him. I must of past him 5 times before I called him up for help. We did another round looking for sign of the other one but with no trace of him or blood we both left happy we would get another chance at him. Now onto bow season

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu