Got my first Scaup

8SteelTown

Jumped a Scaup today. Was cleaning it and noticed the gizzard was huge. Gave it a little squeeze and felt a crunch. Opened it up and found this... Not sure if I should eat the duck Cuz I'm alergic to shellfish. Not sure if it would mess me up or not. Is this typical of ducks? I've found all sorts of food in the ones I've shot this season but this is a first for me.

image-12.jpg

Mike,

I ain't no purist......lol.....And damn right I'd shoot bluebills, redheads and cans. .......In fact, I used to love freelancing for divers....... ;)

Attachments

• san diego 1976[1].jpg
    san diego 1976[1].jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 167
Lol. You guys are funny. Yeah there was some funky going on. Especially when I popped that gizzard open. My hunting partner caught a huge whiff of it and wasn't pleased! He dropped a mallard hen so it was a pretty good day.

A boy never forget his first scaup

I would eat it, but I also don't have any food allergies that I know of.

To second what Sluester said... they all eat shell fish given the opportunity. I have seen mallards eat dead shad.

Aeon said:
A boy never forget his first scaup

It was a cool surprise. I was stalking a wood duck around a cove and popped up for an ambush and the wood was too far off and the scaup was slow to pop off the water. He ended up too far out in the water for waders so I had to get down to my skivvies and go in after it. Waste not want not. That's the game we play jump shooting w/o dog or boat. I'll just make sure I keep my epi-pen close in hand when I eat that breast! Was just crazy how big that gizzard was inside that size duck.

ilovesprig said:
Do you have a picture of that "Scaup"?

Man I'm slacking... (Wood duck probably saw me coming cuz I wasn't wearing my ghillie ;))

Let me know if you disagree on scaup Sprig. Didn't have the ring on the bill and it looks like every picture of a scaup that I've seen.

Scaup2.png

SNAP!

So you blew a woody off the pond to shoot that.....

sigh.

Aeon said:
SNAP!

So you blew a woody off the pond to shoot a scaup.........

sigh.

Lol... c'mon man.

Wasn't at the pond. The wood duck flew in front of me at an unreachable distance and I watched him prep to land around a cove and it looked to be within 20 feet or so from the water's edge. Knew I could sneak up and ambush. Just took me too long to get over to it and probably should've peaked first but the idea of my first wood duck got me anxious. I could've tried to take a shot at long distance at it but I'd rather hold off on long shots that I don't think will drop the bird. Saw the Scaup (or whatever Sprig deems it to be ;)) and an opportunity presented itself.

No big deal and was just curious.......Just sounded more like a ringneck.......No doubt that's a full blown drake bluebill......Congrats

ok.... you guys need to get a woody off your lil secret sauce pond before the year is up.....

Aeon said:
ok.... you guys need to get a woody off your lil secret sauce pond before the year is up.....

Lol. I'm all about it... as long as Stik lets me in his spot :D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu