Got some waterfowl gear

8SteelTown

Got some gift cards for Cabela's and BPS. Still waiting on 2 boxes of ammo (3" #3's 1625 fps) and a Red Head Blind Bag. Got a "Hard Core" wader shell pack, some goose loads, and a pair of "Banded" neoprene decoy gloves.

The shell pack is sweet. 12 in front, 12 in back, Velcro waterproof pouch, and 3 D-rings on the bottom. Haven't tried it yet but expect it'll be perfect. Plastic connections will work just fine. $16.

The gloves are like waders for your hands. Only thing is they're like a vice. The rested hand position is manequin like and if I make a fist, it feels like all the blood is rushing out of my hands. No way I could sport these for a long time at this point. Had them on for 5 minutes and had indents and my hands were all white. You think they'll stretch out? Finger length is perfect so don't want to go up a size and have glove folding over my fingertips. Thinking of just getting something else. Thoughts please. (Don't have a bunch of money for your fancy pants $80 gloves).

Do you only hunt duck in So Cal? If so, a very light pair of gloves is all you should need. Hand warmers in your pockets go a long way.

Those gloves you bought are for placing and picking up decoys in places that are much colder than So Cal IMHO. Unless you are very sensitive to cold I would exchange them for something else useful.

I generally only use gloves to cover up my bright white hands. Most days I keep my hands glove less in a handwarmer pouch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nicapopolis said:
Do you only hunt duck in So Cal? If so, a very light pair of gloves is all you should need. Hand warmers in your pockets go a long way.

Those gloves you bought are for placing and picking up decoys in places that are much colder than So Cal IMHO. Unless you are very sensitive to cold I would exchange them for something else useful.

I generally only use gloves to cover up my bright white hands. Most days I keep my hands glove less in a handwarmer pouch.

Yep, spot on. Water isn't cold enough for these for sure. Was thinking these would be an easy on easy off neoprene style. One of the problems of ordering online and not trying them on first. I'll just stick with my liners and mid-weights and take them off when I have to get my hands in the water. Seemed like everything waterproof was thick material. Thanks Nick.

99% of the time I use calling gloves.....Fingerless and palmless......I don't get cold easily. So just cotton gloves are what I use even under the coldest conditions in SoCal (Lake Henshaw).....The shell carrier is made to attach to your waders. The problem with 24 shells is the weight pulling down the front of said waders.....I carry both, but use the neo bando belt most the time.

Attachments

• henshaw 12-29-12 009.JPG
    henshaw 12-29-12 009.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 25
  • henshaw 12-29-12 010.JPG
    henshaw 12-29-12 010.JPG
    852.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Henshaw 12-19-12 010.JPG
    Henshaw 12-19-12 010.JPG
    467.4 KB · Views: 24
Sprig, you talkin' weight as far as stress on the waders or the hunter? I have a pair of redhead liners that have pockets for hand warmers that I use most often. Have a set of Cabela's mid weight, cool glommets, and 1 pair of heavy weight waterproof. Will probably just sport the liners and slip on the waterproof if I need to get wet and it's cold. Otherwise, a quick grab out of the water won't kill me. Just got my blind bag this morning. Plenty big with a bunch of compartments. Probably use the wader shell pack for 12 and the blind bag with 12 if I'm on a res. Bag will hold plenty for jump shooting.

Jesse,

If you'll fill the shell carrier with shells and then clip it to your waders. You'll see what I mean.....At least in my breathables, it pulls the front down....I normally only use one strap from waders when shooting.

Attachments

• wister 11-27-10 005.JPG
    wister 11-27-10 005.JPG
    739.2 KB · Views: 21
...go big or go home. i use snowmobile gloves. Lipo battery so they keep my hands nice and warm.

Attachments

• Castle-X-Mens-Heated-TRS-G2-Snowmobile-Glove-$23995-Save-with-Cashback-Rewards.jpg
    Castle-X-Mens-Heated-TRS-G2-Snowmobile-Glove-$23995-Save-with-Cashback-Rewards.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 22
so seriously besides the ride out where my hands freeze up i just wear wool half finger gloves or mechanix gloves if its super cold. Most of the time i wear nothing at all even if its butt cold. The heavy insulated gloves are for hunting places like the north salt lake in dec. I do not care how TECH gloves get they all suck when you need dexterity.

Steve is correct. Unless it is the belt style when you clip the shells on it pulls down the waders. Very cumbersome.

The Herters neoprene waders (division of Cabela's) are tight tight. I've been working out a bunch and dropped 30 pounds since last year and still barely fit into them. I loaded the clip up w/ 24 shells, car keys, and wallet and that thing is HEAVY. Yeah I'll just stick with the 12 in front and whatever I can legally carry in the blind bag. Just stoked to have the gear so I'm not droppin down to chones and fetching my birds any more when I jump solo. Hoping to put a serious hurt down this season.

It's time to go breathable............Loose fit, cool & dry, layer if it's cold............... 8)

Attachments

• henshaw 1-29-11 026.JPG
    henshaw 1-29-11 026.JPG
    773.2 KB · Views: 17
Breathables are your friend in the desert, no gloves, no hanging shell thingy. Get a shell belt that goes around your waist, that's the ticket! Gonna be 90 degrees on the opener...Doh! Steve's post above is spot on!!!

Slayersmith said:
Breathables are your friend in the desert, no gloves, no hanging shell thingy. Get a shell belt that goes around your waist, that's the ticket! Gonna be 90 degrees on the opener...Doh! Steve's post above is spot on!!!

Yeah I hear ya... Only problem is that I tend to not purchase my gear unless it's a box of ammo or something small. I will get items on my "wish list" gifted to me for my bday (October) and for Christmas. I just don't have the funds available to make "big" purchases even with "buy once cry once". Just like everything I have hunting related, I just have to make it work. So I'll be the dude with the super tight waders sweating my butt off but at least I'll have a couple ducks in tow!

8SteelTown said:
Slayersmith said:

Yeah I hear ya... Only problem is that I tend to not purchase my gear unless it's a box of ammo or something small. I will get items on my "wish list" gifted to me for my bday (October) and for Christmas. I just don't have the funds available to make "big" purchases even with "buy once cry once". Just like everything I have hunting related, I just have to make it work. So I'll be the dude with the super tight waders sweating my butt off but at least I'll have a couple ducks in tow!

You will be ready to hunt up north though :) You get an "A" for effort!

8SteelTown said:
Slayersmith said:

It don't matter dude your wadders don't kill ducks

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu