GPS Unit or Android GPS App

ericl23

Dec 3, 2013
Next on my shopping list is either a GPS unit or an Android GPS App. I was wondering which you guys prefer and the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Eric

Depends on what I'm doing. I say you need both. If I know I'm not going deep and battery power is not a problem the phone works. It's going along with me anyways. If I need longer battery life and waterproof durability my etrex is handy. You don't need any special apps for GPS navigation. Your map app and Google Earth both work even when you have no cell tower. Just load your sat images into the cash before your trip.

Take a look at this thread from December:
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,4994.msg32169.html#msg32169

Bonejour.

I read that post but I always like to get up to date opinions especially when tech is involved because the features are constantly being upgraded. So did you end up buying the Trimble phone App? Curious to see how it compares to your Garmin?

Thanks

Eric

ericl23 said:
Bonejour.

I read that post but I always like to get up to date opinions especially when tech is involved because the features are constantly being upgraded. So did you end up buying the Trimble phone App? Curious to see how it compares to your Garmin?

Thanks

Eric
Eric, I did get the Trimble app. Upgraded to pro and bought the subscription so I could cache the maps and use my phone's gps despite having no phone service as Aeon, Josh Pearson, shayes11 and brice recommended in that thread. It was a real game changer: easier viewing and screen controls than Garmin, with very clear and well-labeled boundaries to keep me on legal land. I have found roads and tracks with it that aren't on any of my USGS topos or the Garmin expanded chip, which amazed me.
I was reluctant to buy a subscription to enhance the Trimble app, but with that extra investment my Trimble app works equally well both here and in Virginia, and I expect to use it in WY and CO for my fall hunts. Similar functionality for my Garmin cost $100 and is limited to California.
Short answer: I'm a Trimble convert.
8)

Sent via Tapatalk

Ok, Im a huge gadget fan, and I LOVE finding good deals, so I figured I'd chime in here. As far as GPS stuff goes, I have a standard GPS unit, the Garmin eTrex 30. I just got it, so I don't have a lot of time on it, but it seems to be VERY capable. I typically use my iPhone for navigation. The first app I started with is called MotionX GPS. It does a great job of recording tracks, setting waypoints (with pictures if you want) and allows you to download maps if you know you're going to an area with limited reception. It also gives you data like speed, average speed, max speed, ascent and descent info, etc. It has never let me down.

When I started getting in to deer scouting (a few weeks ago....Im new....) I wanted to be able to ensure I was on public land. I picked up the onX Hunt app. I think it's like $35 a year, and it gives you all the overlays for the state you live in. You can of course purchase other states if you want. Here's a screenshot of the overlays. BLM is yellow, National Forest is green, private is bordered in red, with landowner's name.
IMG_9661_zps10571a2a.png

As far as finding awesome deals, you HAVE to check this out.... www.searchtempest.com
Basically, it's nation-wide craigslist. You type in what you're looking for, then it asks how far away you want to search....go to the bottom of the drop down menu and select "ANY". It will search every city in the country on craigslist, and it's QUICK. I got the eTrex 30 I mentioned, shipped to my door, for $180.00 shipped. I also got a Bushnell Elite 1600 rangefinder for $145 shipped, and a Kestrel 4500NV for $75 shipped. I have seen Trail cameras on there for super cheap as well.

Android and Garmin have similar abilities. Android is cheaper, and Garmin is better accuracy. If you have a Samsung phone, or any other phone with a stand alone GPS unit in it the apps work great even outside of cell coverage (check this because not all phones have it). With the Trimble (used to be Cabela's) Recon Hunt App you can buy the public land, ect... overlays with airals, topos, and streets. It's a good product.

If you google Hunting GPS maps you will get a page for Xmaps Hunt. This is the same thing but stat by state not the whole west USA. It's more accurate and you can buy landowner info to ask for permission as well. It also covers most of the 50 states. Recon on the phone is only the west. You can get this for GPS, Computer, Tablet and Phone.

Additionally some states provide online maps with boundaries. Cali does not yet, but Utah for example does.

These are in my opinion invaluable if you are a public land, DIY hunter. Also, there's the old fashion way of looking in public records for land ownership and finding easments into areas.

Good Luck

Climb1983 said:
Android and Garmin have similar abilities. Android is cheaper, and Garmin is better accuracy. If you have a Samsung phone, or any other phone with a stand alone GPS unit in it the apps work great even outside of cell coverage (check this because not all phones have it). With the Trimble (used to be Cabela's) Recon Hunt App you can buy the public land, ect... overlays with airals, topos, and streets. It's a good product.

If you google Hunting GPS maps you will get a page for Xmaps Hunt. This is the same thing but stat by state not the whole west USA. It's more accurate and you can buy landowner info to ask for permission as well. It also covers most of the 50 states. Recon on the phone is only the west. You can get this for GPS, Computer, Tablet and Phone.

Additionally some states provide online maps with boundaries. Cali does not yet, but Utah for example does.

These are in my opinion invaluable if you are a public land, DIY hunter. Also, there's the old fashion way of looking in public records for land ownership and finding easments into areas.

Good Luck

The gps should work no matter what without coverage, however, if you have no cell coverage, how do you end up with a basemap? Would the samsung phones you're talking about come preloaded with maps all over the world? That seems unlikely. I'll have to look in to it.

I can't speak to the android apps, but the subscription to Trimble allows you to download hunt zone maps (from any state in the union) to iTunes, then you sync them to your phone. Those downloaded and sync'd maps are layered on your phone and your phone's internal gps gives your position on that background, whether you have cell service or not. All the touch screen technology on your phone can be used to zoom in and out and to Navigate the map looking for terrain features.

Sent via Tapatalk

Android has the CNF map for 4.99. I use it when I get close to boundaries of some property that is outlined on there. Its kind of nice to have it instead of digging out the fold up paper map.

My Garmin 62s gps is only a year old and although it may have more detail than premium phone based apps, it has no touch screen technology so you have to use buttons for zooming and lateral movement. The screen is about one third the size of my iPhone5 and contrast/readability is poor. Without buying a chip, there is no topo or hunting-specific info. For that, you have to buy a chip ($99), and you need a different chip for each state. Memory is limited so you can't store an entire hunt zone like D16 on it. Each time I go to a new area I have to erase the old area from memory using my laptop and the install the new map. Verdict: overpriced paperweight, or clunky backup at best.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
My Garmin 62s gps is only a year old and although it may have more detail than premium phone based apps, it has no touch screen technology so you have to use buttons for zooming and lateral movement. The screen is about one third the size of my iPhone5 and contrast/readability is poor. Without buying a chip, there is no topo or hunting-specific info. For that, you have to buy a chip ($99), and you need a different chip for each state. Memory is limited so you can't store an entire hunt zone like D16 on it. Each time I go to a new area I have to erase the old area from memory using my laptop and the install the new map. Verdict: overpriced paperweight, or clunky backup at best.

Sent via Tapatalk

Don,

You may be able to use it on MCC.........Although, I think mine's a Magellan.........There's a MB card that has all the zones on it.

Don,

You may be able to use it on MCC.........Although, I think mine's a Magellan.........There's a MB card that has all the zones on it.

That would be great. Thanks Steve

Sent via Tapatalk

B W E said:
Climb1983 said:

Good Luck

The gps should work no matter what without coverage, however, if you have no cell coverage, how do you end up with a basemap? Would the samsung phones you're talking about come preloaded with maps all over the world? That seems unlikely. I'll have to look in to it.

With the Trimble you can download the maps ahead of time to the detail level you want.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu