GPS

S

surf

Which GPS system you guys running? I had a DeLorme and hated it. Garmin Montana is great except cost. I am looking and know that I like the OnX map software. I prefer a stand alone as well. Hunt specific. Thoughts? recommendation?

I have a Garmin Rino 655t with the OnX landowner maps. My hunting partners also have Rino's and the feature of being able to see where they are as well as functioning as a GMRS radio is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onxmaps on my galaxy s6 is great the new version allows tracking,i also use garmin etrex 30 as a back up because the screen is much smaller

The latest version of onx with the tracking feature is a big improvement. I have onx on my iPhone as my primary GPS. For backcountry hunting in Wyoming, where cell coverage is scarce and loading (caching) is slow, I have a Garmin rino 655t for the same reasons Daq80 mentions.

I use the GAIA PRO GPS app on my iPhone as primary (and onx just for landownership). If you preload the maps on GAIA you can run on airplane mode for the better part of a week with out need for charging. I track all my trails, photos, landmarks, everything the whole time I'm out. Also have a Garmin etrex as a backup usually.

I use the older garmin 62s and love it! Bought it very slightly used for $200.00 It aquires satellites even in the really thick jungle crap. I have OnX chips for most western states and absolutely love it! I like that if the batteries wear out I can just pop it open and throw 2 AA batteries in and I'm off.. If im using an app on my iPhone, no such luck... It's all preference i suppose..

SORRY TO BRING AN OLD THREAD BACK TO LIFE, but..........

I Hope you all are having a successful season. I had a quick question that maybe you are able to help me out. I have read through older postings, but was not able to get a clear answer. ( but i probably didnt try hard enough..)

I am debating on whether to get the Hunt onXmap for my iphone 6s, for my Garmin Rino 650, or do i really need BOTH? I am new to hunting so this has been kind of confusing...

Does the chip store info where if I change devices it will operate the same and still show stored info? yes i suck at technology....

I don't want to have to spend unnecessary money if they both do the same thing. Would you have any recommendations? any advantages or disadvantages of having it on the mobile vs GPS? Do i even need my GARMIN Rino 650 anymore if i have my smartphone?

Thanks in advance! Good luck to all!

Nobody is less techy than me......But I can tell you from seeing & using both......The GPS uses a satellite and the cell phone uses a tower for service......In New Mexico turkey hunting, using the GPS worked.....The cell phone did not.

Sprigs clock stopped in 1984.....give me my commodore 64 back.

Your phone uses both agps and GPS to locate position. Now you can't load maps when you are out of cell service so what you do is cash them. To do that simply view the areas on your app of choice before you leave coverage. Your phone can store a lot of area so no worries. When you fire up your phone it will use the saved maps and show your exact position, ta da

YIKES , don't let the batteries die, keep extra or have rechargeable batteries, and solar charger like for back packing. good stuff. I like to carry maps of the area. I am old school too. and a compass. so there. :)

Reactions: acestriker
SORRY TO BRING AN OLD THREAD BACK TO LIFE, but..........

I Hope you all are having a successful season. I had a quick question that maybe you are able to help me out. I have read through older postings, but was not able to get a clear answer. ( but i probably didnt try hard enough..)

I am debating on whether to get the Hunt onXmap for my iphone 6s, for my Garmin Rino 650, or do i really need BOTH? I am new to hunting so this has been kind of confusing...

Does the chip store info where if I change devices it will operate the same and still show stored info? yes i suck at technology....

I don't want to have to spend unnecessary money if they both do the same thing. Would you have any recommendations? any advantages or disadvantages of having it on the mobile vs GPS? Do i even need my GARMIN Rino 650 anymore if i have my smartphone?

Thanks in advance! Good luck to all!

OnX now has an elite subscription that gives you all 50 states for $99/year. You break even if you hunt in three states or more. But the chips aren't included in the elite upgrade. The topo maps on my garmin 655t rino are pretty good even without property lines, and it complements my onx maps. I got the elite OnX maps upgrade but still carry my rino.
Note two things: you need to cache your OnX map quadrants in order to use it where there is no cell service. Second, the elite membership only lets you keep info for 5 states at a time so you need to switch them out to make room if you're looking at a new state.

the problem with technology , it can break, but it works well when it does work, always have a backup, especially if out in the middle of no where. don't just rely on one tool. all given here is I believe expert advice by all. things break, or lost , or die. so have a back up of back up. and I always carry water proof maps. if I need it. and a plain old compass. some times in the digital age those old time knowledge is lost and we have to keep it alive.

That is great information thank you!

I was out hunting (more like hiking) and got to test out the HuntonX App for the first time..I ended up losing reception and didnt cache my hunting area (even though you guys told me to), then my phone was dying on me because the app was draining the battery....

I was wishing I had the Chip for my Garmin so that I would not accidentally cross into any private property areas and ended up not exploring as much as I wanted to.

Bottom line, I think i'll get them all (app, chip, maps, compass) to be safe and for peace of mind. Better safe than sorry is something to live by out there!

Bottom line, I think i'll get them all (app, chip, maps, compass) to be safe and for peace of mind. Better safe than sorry is something to live by out there!

Can't beat the "belt and suspenders" approach.

I have the garmin 64st and had a delorme Inreach, plus I had onX hunt elite as well as my fenix 5a watch that has topo maps. I decided on my diy elk hunt In Idaho this year I wanted to drop som weight and gear. Having my son with me I really liked the function of the Inreach. It provides me the piece of mind knowing that I can get help for my self or my son if we need it. I sold my Delorme and currently selling my garmin 64st and just going to replace with the Gramin version of the inreach with the topo maps. In the places in Idaho I'll be hunting I don't really need to worry about land ownership just finding my way back to camp, I have my onX hunt maps saved off line so I can access them and it's nice to know I have the infect that can provide mapping to. My son will carry that and will help navigate.

Reactions: Bonejour
I have the garmin 64st and had a delorme Inreach, plus I had onX hunt elite as well as my fenix 5a watch that has topo maps. I decided on my diy elk hunt In Idaho this year I wanted to drop som weight and gear. Having my son with me I really liked the function of the Inreach. It provides me the piece of mind knowing that I can get help for my self or my son if we need it. I sold my Delorme and currently selling my garmin 64st and just going to replace with the Gramin version of the inreach with the topo maps. In the places in Idaho I'll be hunting I don't really need to worry about land ownership just finding my way back to camp, I have my onX hunt maps saved off line so I can access them and it's nice to know I have the infect that can provide mapping to. My son will carry that and will help navigate.

How old is your son? I love onX for private property and boundaries, and any of the GPS systems for when you have no service. But when I'm in the wilderness I still always carry a compass and old-fashioned USGS topo maps for the relevant quadrangles. There is nothing as light and worry-free as paper topo maps and a simple Suunto analog compass. For me, it's about peace of mind. But for youngsters it's a revelation and always worth considering because if they lose power, OnX and GPS will fail.
Just my two cents.

How old is your son? I love onX for private property and boundaries, and any of the GPS systems for when you have no service. But when I'm in the wilderness I still always carry a compass and old-fashioned USGS topo maps for the relevant quadrangles. There is nothing as light and worry-free as paper topo maps and a simple Suunto analog compass. For me, it's about peace of mind. But for youngsters it's a revelation and always worth considering because if they lose power, OnX and GPS will fail.
Just my two cents.

My son is 11, I do carry and keep a compas on me as well. I figure I have 3 devices inreach, phone and my watch. If all 3 fail we'll then shit maybe I'm just suppose to stay in the woods.. lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu