Great day in the woods...4-15-19

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Hunted with Josh today (owner of Flydown Custom Calls)…Josh started in some big meadow type habitat...Gobbles, but all in places they don't leave and these birds were no different...Made a move after I did a little scouting...;)...Dropped Josh off and he started working the birds I had spotted....Heard the gobbles, but never heard the boom...I was told later that they (2 jakes & a long) came running, but when they got to 80 yds...They took a left down a ravine...The next gobble was 150 yds away and that was that...One of the beautiful things about turkey hunting is many times when you're working one bird another bird will hear the calling...Josh had texted me and said they were gone...So, I said let's make a move...A few minutes go by and he texts me again and says hold on...That he had got a gobble from another direction...30 minutes later, he had a beautiful gobbler down.

Beautiful morning, flowers in full bloom, deer everywhere, and a big gob down...Life is good......:blush:

.008.JPG068.JPG069.JPG071.JPG079.JPG075.JPG073.JPG040.JPG037.JPG

Last edited:
When we had a good population up where I'm at (not so much at this point in time) we used to let folks hunt the property I would tell them every morning when I met with them what I knew and then turn them loose having watched them roost the night before. Because of that I was able to get them on the best chance they might have and I would also tell them to let them come and go as they please if it's not a for sure kill shot let them go and at some point you will get a shot if you are patient. We saw dozen's of bird's per season killed on our forty acre property and they were all twenty pound class long beards. Be quiet and sit still as well as don't call much and it will happen...

When we had a good population up where I'm at (not so much at this point in time) we used to let folks hunt the property I would tell them every morning when I met with them what I knew and then turn them loose having watched them roost the night before. Because of that I was able to get them on the best chance they might have and I would also tell them to let them come and go as they please if it's not a for sure kill shot let them go and at some point you will get a shot if you are patient. We saw dozen's of bird's per season killed on our forty acre property and they were all twenty pound class long beards. Be quiet and sit still as well as don't call much and it will happen...

Fred,

I'm hoping this spring will bring a rejuvenation of our turkey population....Chance of rain tomorrow and I'll take, but hope that's last of it for awhile...Poults can't survive in the first 10 days (downy state) with cold rain.

Awesome Steve! I’m loving seeing this spring go on and on this year. Always enjoy seeing your passion for Turkey hunting put birds on the ground. Love seeing those chocolate bars growing out of those deer’s heads too.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Excellent advice...
I like being stealthy and quite like.
And mostly listen to the forest...

Fred,

I'm hoping this spring will bring a rejuvenation of our turkey population....Chance of rain tomorrow and I'll take, but hope that's last of it for awhile...Poults can't survive in the first 10 days (downy state) with cold rain.
Hoping for a light warm rain..
Wildlife going crazy...

Hunted with Josh today (owner of Flydown Custom Calls)…Josh started in some big meadow type habitat...Gobbles, but all in places they don't leave and these birds were no different...Made a move after I did a little scouting...;)...Dropped Josh off and he started working the birds I had spotted....Heard the gobbles, but never heard the boom...I was told later that they (2 jakes & a long) came running, but when they got to 80 yds...They took a left down a ravine...The next gobble was 150 yds away and that was that...One of the beautiful things about turkey hunting is many times when you're working one bird another bird will hear the calling...Josh had texted me and said they were gone...So, I said let's make a move...A few minutes go by and he texts me again and says hold on...That he had got a gobble from another direction...30 minutes later, he had a beautiful gobbler down.

Beautiful morning, flowers in full bloom, deer everywhere, and a big gob down...Life is good......:blush:

.View attachment 39019View attachment 39020View attachment 39021View attachment 39022View attachment 39024View attachment 39025View attachment 39026View attachment 39027View attachment 39028
JOSH first nice bird congrats. It would sure be nice to get you to bring some calls and come to our NWTF meeting on the 23 to give a little demo, Hell I'll even buy you dinner.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Just curious... what size telephoto lense do you have on your camera for these shots?

Just curious... what size telephoto lense do you have on your camera for these shots?

'Dog,

Canon Powershot SX530...16 megapixels and a 50x optical zoom.

The bucks were about 75 yds in the picture of their heads...The 2 in the flowers bedded down were about 250 yds...Good little cameras for $250.00.

ps...The hardest part is holding the camera steady at the longest distances...This gob was at about 125.

.066.JPG

Reactions: longbowhunter2
That is crazy good for 250yds! OK... reading specs 215mm I see for the zoom.

I have a Nikon D3300. But I haven't yet gotten a larger aftermarket zoom lens for it yet. It's just the 18-55mm it came with. So thanks, I wanted to get an idea for how much bigger of a lense I'd need to go to for taking pics like these.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu