Great fishing Sat 5/19 - went DEEP

Yep, the RP is the connecting knot of choice. Sadly, we didn't get to test my knots this weekend, the weather was crap and the tuna weren't biting. We did get some rock fish and white fish aka taco fish.
Nothing wrong with fish tacos!

Last edited:
Reactions: YETI
The Albright knot was invented in the 50's in Florida, by Jimmy Albright.
I used the Palomar knot for just about everything until fluorocarbon came out, then I learned the Double Uni for connecting to mono. With braid had to learn the RP knot for connecting to fluorocarbon or mono leader. That’s pretty much the extent of my ropemanship.

Reactions: YETI and ilovesprig
I used the Palomar knot for just about everything until fluorocarbon came out, then I learned the Double Uni for connecting to mono. With braid had to learn the RP knot for connecting to fluorocarbon or mono leader. That’s pretty much the extent of my ropemanship.

Lots of fancy knots...I still use either the plain old improved clinch or when I'm not lazy, the improved clinch (Trilene knot).............. :joy:

Reactions: WaterDawg
Lots of fancy knots...I still use either the plain old improved clinch or when I'm not lazy, the improved clinch (Trilene knot).............. :joy:
As my pop would’ve said, there’s more than one way to skin a cat. And if it doesn’t break, don’t fix it

Pretty much the only knots I know are the RP and the SD Jam Knot. There's another one I use when tying on wind on leaders, but I have to watch a tutorial as I do it since I only do it once a year or so

Reactions: WaterDawg
I learned it years ago from the captain of the Royal Polaris, hence the name RP Knot. He claimed he invented it. He only uses five wraps and catches 300 lb tuna, so I’ve never used more than five.
I use 20# braid on all my rods (fresh water) with a short leader, I also use that knot also. If I throw plastics I some time color the first 2-3 ft with a bulk magic marker instead of mono

Reactions: YETI and ilovesprig
I use 20# braid on all my rods (fresh water) with a short leader, I also use that knot also. If I throw plastics I some time color the first 2-3 ft with a bulk magic marker instead of mono
Never heard of that one. Black, green, which color marker do you use? I’m intrigued.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu