Great opener

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Well I'm bummed that so many had such bad experiences but to lighten up the room a little, here's my opening day success with my newly licensed 6 yo hunter.

Started the morning out trying to figure out why the turkeys weren't in the roost tree like I saw last weekend. Used a coyote howler but didn't get a single gobble so I was a bit down that all the birds left the area. Me and my son set the decoys out as the horizon lighted up and set up a blind in a cotton wood thicket. The early morning fly down came and gone without a gobble but we stuck it out and just blind called here and there to see if a traveling gobbler would pick up the sounds.

At about 0900, I got up and walked a few hundred feet to the property boundary and gave a few cuts and yelps every 20 feet or so using a glass call and my mouth call. Right as I got to the end of the boundary line I heard a gobble waaaaaaaaay off in the distance. I figured what the heck and gave it some more calls to see if he would break. After a keekee and a yelp, the gobble literally went from a few miles out to about 400 yards out and quickly closing.

I began walking back to the blind and cluck and yelp as the gobbles grew closer. I ran into the blind, woke up my son and got us set up for a tom that was triple gobbling every few feet. Because of the crazy amounts of gobbles, I thought maybe it was a jake so I told my son to get ready as the gobbles were literally 50 yards away behind a low ridge. I position my son's field gun pod and get him ready for the bird. all of a sudden the gobbler skirts us to our left and walks in from behind to my left.

As the gobbler comes into view, I nearly crap my self to see a very distinct double beard and a full fan. This aint no stink'n jake... At this point my son tells me he wants me to shoot because he doesn't want the gun to "thump" hard like last weekend when he missed a big longbeard. Unfortunately in order to position my boy's gun, the gobbler can easily see us from his angle so I have my son slowly help hold the gun and pull the trigger together so he can be part of the harvest (butt stock of the 3.5in mag 12ga on my shoulder). As the tom see's the DSD jake and hens, he comes out of full strut and begin clucking and purring, while making his way toward the jake decoy.

I explain to my son that soon as he clears the branch we will shoot the tom right in the neck and head. Before you know it we have a flopping longbeard rolling down a small hill with my little boy in tow trying to catch up to it. I have to say that this was my most enjoyable hunt ever. we spent the rest of the day checking out other areas in search of a tom for my son and my friend. We worked a pari of huge longbeards for 3 hours without any success but had a great time listening to gobbles and using tactics to try and fool weary gobblers.

Attachments

• 156.JPG
    156.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 149.JPG
    149.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 27
Great job....Grandson and I went to fry creek and blanked along with about 20 others, great getting out though

Thanks a bunch guys! I forgot to mention that just yesterday I received a job offer from my future employer so this week has been absolutely epic. Went out and purchased a lotto ticket. It's been a long 6 month hiring process but got through it.

Gen, that is an amazing explanation of tactics and a hunt your son will never forget. Congrats on all your good fortune this week. I advise you to take the next week off and do some more hunting ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks guys! Got out today but the cold front earlier in the AM put a damper on the birds. Only got one gobble the entire morning. Switched spots and again got one gobble but no love for the rest of the day. Now I'm gonna sleep so I can do it all over again tomorrow...

Congrats to you and your boy, great hunt!!! Those are some great pics, oh and congrats on the new job.

Thanks! Well went out again today for a short hunt till noon. Worked a group of toms from 8Am to 12PM and just couldn't get them to cross the road. It seemed like every time they were about to cross the road, either a bicyclist, ATV rider, or other hunter traffic would push them back. At one point they seemed like they really wanted to come across but couple of pesky hens pulled them the opposite direction. The frustrations of turkey hunting at its greatest :)

Thanks guys! I'm hunting hard to try and limit out before the job starts in a few weeks and to get my kid within shooting range of a bird also. Luckily the boy has spring break next week so I think we're gonna hunt as many AM hunts as we can.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu