Greetings and salutations!

Nuevo

Dec 28, 2018
Hello everyone, please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Bob, and live in SoCal. I've been a "part time" hunter just over 30 years. I say part time because I've been more of a fisherman throughout my life.

I've been lurking for a couple days and just checking out the forum, and I like the vibe here. I spend a lot of time on BD, and recognize a few names from there.

I really want to get back to hunting more, and hopefully learn a few things along the way. My hunting experience has been primarily small game (bunnies and birds), but I have spent a few years trying for that deer. With a few close calls, I have yet to put that notch on my belt.

I have two young daughters that have been telling me for the last few months that they want to go hunting, so it's my duty as a father to teach them.
IMG_0896.JPGIMG_0894.JPG

I too stop Hunting for while back.
I had cuddy cabin. Broke my heart
When I sold it. I also was an off shore fisherman. I started hunting at a very young age. Lots of good people on this board. All walks of life and lots of experience.

I too stop Hunting for while back.
I had cuddy cabin. Broke my heart
When I sold it. I also was an off shore fisherman. I started hunting at a very young age. Lots of good people on this board. All walks of life and lots of experience.

I still have my boat(s), and don't plan on giving up fishing. I do feel the need to get out and hunt more. It might be because I'm going to be selling my main boat to get my bigger project boat running and ready. My main boat is getting too small for my family, nor does it have the range and comfort for overnight trips.

Welcome Bob,

cool pics!! I also own that same Benelli, it's a tough all around shotgun. Like Lee mentioned above.. lots of great info on this forum, I would say one of the most informative, member friendly sites in S. Cali... well at least that's what I think?

We also love fishing around here, post up some pics... we love pics :cool:.

Good Day Sir... and great job on answering the call of taking the daughters hunting

I still have my boat(s), and don't plan on giving up fishing. I do feel the need to get out and hunt more. It might be because I'm going to be selling my main boat to get my bigger project boat running and ready. My main boat is getting too small for my family, nor does it have the range and comfort for overnight trips.
Yes I am now your Best friend. LOL.
I stick with the local lakes and the Eastern Sierra's. But I do miss the ocean. Seen lots of cool stuff.
Lots of great fishing.

Reactions: Nuevo
Welcome to SCH Bob. What part of SoCal do you live?

Jason

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jason, I live in Nuevo. Three stop signs and a traffic light from the San Jacinto preserve.

Thank you for the welcome!

Welcome Bob,

cool pics!! I also own that same Benelli, it's a tough all around shotgun. Like Lee mentioned above.. lots of great info on this forum, I would say one of the most informative, member friendly sites in S. Cali... well at least that's what I think?

We also love fishing around here, post up some pics... we love pics :cool:.

Good Day Sir... and great job on answering the call of taking the daughters hunting

I love that Benelli! It's tough, rugged, and just keeps working. It's not my first shotgun, but it's the first one I bought. It's definitely my go to field gun. I also have an older Cotori that I'll take along if I'm chasing pheasants or chukar. I'm too out of shape for chasing chukar though. I gotta fix that this year.

As for fish pics, 2018 was not my year. I got out three times and not a single fish! I got a few pics of fish past. I'll throw them up

X2 on posting your fishing reports. A few of us fish as much as we hunt like you.

PS more family friendly and nicer people here than BD lol.

I can handle the rowdy folks of BD, and sometimes it's just fun. I won't engage the trolls or the hard headed. Just not my style.

I do appreciate the easier atmosphere here too.
Pics to come!

Yes I am now your Best friend. LOL.
I stick with the local lakes and the Eastern Sierra's. But I do miss the ocean. Seen lots of cool stuff.
Lots of great fishing.

I grew up fishing fresh water lakes up until my mid 20's, and I got rather bored of it. I do admit I love the Sierra's and stream fishing too. I have a little 14' Valco just for that.

The ocean has had my heart since the first time I fished it as a kid. I'm by no means a pro, as this last year proved to me, but I always enjoy being on the water. Just like hunting, I've taken many nature hikes and eaten plenty of tag sandwiches.

Great pics and welcome. My wife’s uncle had 21ft skipjack and we used to go out 50 miles and we had some fun times sure miss that kind of fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My project boat is a 24' Skipjack flybridge. It has a Volvo diesel that needs to be rebuilt, and once that is done I'll have a boat capable of 300+ miles. I want to be able to take it down to punta colonet, San Nicholas island, Cortez and Tanner banks, etc...
IMG_1367.JPG

Last edited:
Looks just like the one he had the flying bridge too and he repowered it with a straight six engine that would get up and go! Looks like a fun project can’t wait to see your posts.

Last edited:
My project boat is a 24' Skipjack flybridge. It has a Volvo diesel that needs to be rebuilt, and once that is done I'll have a boat capable of 300+ miles. I want to be able to take it down to punta colonet, San Nicholas island, Cortez and Tanner banks, etc...
View attachment 37496

690bf30219d8954a72fd8e4d7732911c.jpg

Just a few pics of our fun with the skipjack

I love fish pics! I've erased a lot of them just to clear memory on my phone. What I posted was pretty much all I have left.

I need more fish and game pictures!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu