Grizzly Cooler

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Well, I needed to step up my cooler game because I have been borrowing friends and families yeti's / rtic's for my out of state hunts.

Decided to try out grizzly coolers because I have read / heard good things. I was tempted to get the 400 qt but decided to get the 165 and bring coleman(s)/igloos if I need more space on a successful hunt.

Anyone else running a grizzly?

I use two 165 Igloo's for my game. You can also look into the large fish bags they are insulated and work great.

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeSCH
Well, I needed to step up my cooler game because I have been borrowing friends and families yeti's / rtic's for my out of state hunts.

Decided to try out grizzly coolers because I have read / heard good things. I was tempted to get the 400 qt but decided to get the 165 and bring coleman(s)/igloos if I need more space on a successful hunt.

Anyone else running a grizzly?
I'm not running one yet, but because of you're post I might be. Grizzley= Made In USA!

I'm not running one yet, but because of you're post I might be. Grizzley= Made In USA!

For sure, that is a big bonus for me. Another is a buddy who has experience with grizzly and rtic told me he wished he had gone with the grizzly.

Reactions: Morgan1776
That thing is a beast. What do you think - 2 boned out elk?

You could fit 2 in the 400, but definitely not in the 165. 165 is barely enough room for 1 + ice. I will probably bring 2 or 3 full sized coolers. It depends if I want the pleasure of butchering two elk myself or if I would take one to a butcher.

I just picked up a Coho 165 from Costco for $99. Looks like a beefed up igloo, so it is not roto-molded. But I did an ice test over the weekend and was mildly impressed. Took a room temp cooler and put about 25 lbs of ice in it and left it on the porch Friday afternoon to the following Sunday afternoon and there was still ice floating in the water. The biggest thing I like are the handles, the igloo ones always seem to pop open or get ripped off.
1593124487038.png

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I just picked up a Coho 165 from Costco for $99. Looks like a beefed up igloo, so it is not roto-molded. But I did an ice test over the weekend and was mildly impressed. Took a room temp cooler and put about 25 lbs of ice in it and left it on the porch Friday afternoon to the following Sunday afternoon and there was still ice floating in the water. The biggest thing I like are the handles, the igloo ones always seem to pop open or get ripped off.
View attachment 44639
Man I saw those and regret not picking one up.

Old reliable.. best 39.99 ive ever spent at walmart about 15 years ago..Coleman..like the the famous internet antler buyer!!! Anyone? Buellar?
IMG_20150918_122508819_HDR.jpg

I got a Coleman 150 qt Offshore Pro Series Marine Cooler for like 50 bucks at a garage sale...Used it Canada last year...Might not have held ice as well as my Yeti's, but was dang close.

The key to keeping things cold and preserving ice is to keep the damn lid closed no matter what kind of ice chest you have. I use to go on annual 2 week fishing/camping trips with 2 of the old style Metal Coleman chests. (They are fabulous chests) One I’d put various frozen meat in for evening dinners. The other was for drinks and snacks. The meat chest was opened once a day to take out a package of meat, chicken or what ever. Ice in the meat lasted a week in hot weather. Ice in the other chest which was opened several times a day lasted about a day. The other thing I’d do was put a reflective space blanket over them to shade them from the sun.
I have a couple of igloo marine chests that do a great job of keeping things cold. I can buy 4 or 5 of those for the cost of one Yeti. I like Yeti and similar Type chests but just not Sure I can justify the $$$. They will however last as long as the person buying them.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu