Grizzly Island

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
I realize this refuge is far from Southern California but there are some crusty waterfowlers on here with lost of experience so I thought I'd ask.

Has anyone hunted The Griz before? I drew a rezzy and I'm hunting it with an old timer who has never hunted there before either. I know the rezzy numbers don't mean a thing as it is first come first served. I was told that the place is large and can be daunting so try for a blind. That's my plan of action but I was wondering what time should I arrive??

I guess I qualify for the "crusty" part............ :D

Unfortunately, it's one of the refuges that I've never hunted. I can tell you that CWA, California Refuge Forum, and Google are your friend, when it comes to info about NoCal refuges & wildlife areas.

Grew up hunting that place. January is good there. Best piece of advice I can give you is get there the day before and scout so you can get somewhat familiar with it. The place is huge so navigating in the dark will be a difficult task. Also, get away from people if you can. Easier to do in the back half or the blinds, if you can get one. The birds are in there right now according to my intel. And don't be afraid to stick it out till 1-2 if you can. The late morning can be the best sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch out for holes and peat mud. I haven't hunted there but have read it can be tricky.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanksgiving. I live in SD now but guys did good last week there. The widgeon moved in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I have never hunted the state refuge part, but was up there 3 times last year as a winner of CWA's Grizzly Island lottery. Fantastic area compared to Socal, lots of water. Looks like the whole area is a duck factory. Good luck with your plans.

I found an old map online for the Pond 11 blinds... Does anyone have a map with the Crescent blinds? I can't seem to find any online.

UPDATE: I figured I would tell everyone about my experience as to add to the information on this site...

Grizzly is HUGE. There are two lines of cars, one rezzie line and one back-fill line. There is no camping or trailers of any kind allowed. Arrive early and sleep in your car. It's first come first served, just like old mendota.

When it's your turn you have three options. Free roam, or select your own assigned blind in the crescent unit, or try for a random draw blind in the pond 11 unit. Most veterans who know the place go free roam. They bring bikes and it's a rat race to get to their honey hole. There is a requirement that everyone bring 12 deeks. I thought this was odd so I asked about it. Apparently there is a problem with people coming with just a gun and shells and setting up next to someones spread. Go figure.

Seems like Pond 11 offers the best blinds with quality birds. If you want to hunt pond 11, you draw a number out of a bucket. Completely random. If you don't like your pick you can toss it back and pick your own crescent unit blind or go free roam. I think there are about 25 or so blinds in the whole area so blinds are limited but it seemed like the crescent blinds were available very late into the morning as most people go free-roam.

The blinds are buried plastic barrels on a mound of mud. Zero vegetation and zero cover. Very crappy if you ask me. The blinds don't have lids either so they are filled with 5" of water.

I shot what is supposed to be the best blind in the crescent unit. In the morning we were passing on the spoons. Pretty slow but I was able to shoot a nice mallard hen (The drake got away from me. He should be dead though), 2 GW teal, and then things got really slow so I shot a spoonie. On a side note the spoonie had rice breast so I chucked it.

Oh yeah, the place is loaded with Elk too!

Attachments

• IMG_6773.JPG
    IMG_6773.JPG
    805.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6790.JPG
    IMG_6790.JPG
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6797.JPG
    IMG_6797.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6782.JPG
    IMG_6782.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Steve,

Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures........I'm sure it will help someone down the road........ 8)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu