Ground dove vs Mourning Doves

outdoordave

Jul 5, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Does anyone have a quick tip or advice on identifying Mourning doves from ground doves. I hunt Southwest Riverside county and East County SD for dove but without the large flocks of birds I've been pretty trigger shy not wanting to shoot a ground dove by accident. I know mourning doves hang out on the ground during the hotter parts of the day so if anyone can help ID the birds after takeoff I would appreciate it. Thanks

Thanks snake charmer. Ill have to keep that in mind. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on a few last year than. They were probably ground doves. Better safe than sorry!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu