Grouse & Quail

CapnCaboose

Jul 16, 2022
Anybody getting ready to chase some grouse? I've got some spots around Mammoth that i'm looking forward to. Maybe just and armed hike but still nothing better than taking the 12 gauge for a walk.

Mtn quail coming up too, anybody heading out for the early quail opener?

Reactions: hikingwithguns
I'll be chasing Ruffed grouse shortly. I shot a Ruffed grouse last year during archery elk season at 20 yards. The meat was really good and I kept the fan. It was a nice one. I'll be keeping my eye out a little sharper this elk season, in hopes of getting a few more. They are a treat on an archery elk hunt to add to dehydrated meals.

Good luck!

Anybody getting ready to chase some grouse? I've got some spots around Mammoth that i'm looking forward to. Maybe just and armed hike but still nothing better than taking the 12 gauge for a walk.

Mtn quail coming up too, anybody heading out for the early quail opener?
I hunted the west side of the sierra's last year and got some mountain quail, but no grouse. I had to skip this year's opener for the wife's 50th!

How did you do in the Mammoth area?!

I hunted the west side of the sierra's last year and got some mountain quail, but no grouse. I had to skip this year's opener for the wife's 50th!

How did you do in the Mammoth area?!
No bueno... haven't heard or seen a mq. All my valley quail spots are burnt...fresh shells at each spot and no quail to be seen or heard. Saw hundreds over summer but they put the slip on me. Need t find some new spots.

Bum on the grouse too. Talked to some people, didn't see any as well. Too many hunters this year! Even with all these land, geo-referencing has become a real pain in the a** from out of towner's and out of state hunters.

I started to get the hang of dropping sooty grouse up around Tahoe. Was on the NV side so it doesn't close early like CA does. Once I found the areas that they liked and got into them I started to see more each time I went out. Got 3 males and one hen while I was there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu