Guidance Needed: Hoop-netting Lobsters

krist003

Nov 15, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice on hoop-netting for lobsters. Being located in Temecula, I never really got into the ocean fishing scene, but now that I have two boys of my own who are always itching to get outside, I want them to experience every hunting/fishing opportunity they can. Besides, I love seafood and it compliments venison well :)

I don't have a boat and planned on hitting the piers, jettys or harbors to try and catch some lobster/crab. We will try our hand at fishing too while the nets soak. I am going to pick up a Promar Ambush 32" hoopnet. Is one enough when fishing from shore or should I get 2-3?

I still need to do some research on regulations and good spots to try, but I'm just trying to get an idea on what to expect without a boat. Anything else that we can eat from the ocean that should be on our radar? Either way, the boys will like the adventure of being out late at night!

Feel free to PM me if you would rather respond that way. I appreciate the help! Thanks

I use that same Promar Ambush, will be fine from the pier. You can throw them from the longer jetties also just be careful of getting snagged on the rocks. Squidco in San Diego has some good priced nets that are basically the same or you can usually pick them up on craigslist for cheap. Make sure each one of you lobster fishing has a lobster gage on them, i keep one hanging on my backpack. Also from the pier/jetty you can only use 2 fishing appliances at a time per person. Can be two rods, 1 rod 1 hoopnet, or 2 hoopnet. Even though you do not need a fishing license from the pier, you will need to get a lobster tag/report card for each person going after lobster. Your going to get more shorts than legal sized lobster but don't get discouraged. Keep dropping your net in the same spot.

i usually use 1 rod and 1 net, even if you dont get any lobster you will be chumming the water pretty good and will bring in the fish/sharks and sea lions unfortunately. Good luck, always fun.

Very cool TrapLine, thank you. I was just reading those regs. I always have a fishing license with an ocean enhancement, but I will have to pick up a report card.

Are the piers pretty busy with other fishermen? I'm not one for crowds, but I will give it a go. And I've seen some of the cool stuff you have caught; my boys would lose their mind. They love any kind of critters, dead or alive. Clamming sounds fun too, but I've heard it is few and far between these days. Love me some clams/mussels

Last edited:
If you can swing it financially, you might try a lobster trip outta one of the sport fishing landings (San Diego or Oceanside). You can fish the bay while the pots soak. You can catch sand bass and sculpin. It is a great time and you can learn how the guys who are doing it every night rig their stuff up. If the kids get bored there is always stuff in the galley and bait they can play with. Guaranteed to catch some shorts at least so they can see them and hold 'em for pics....

Should be in the neighborhood of $175-ish for all 3 of you (Minus lobster card).

Food for thought...

Good idea Baller, that would be a great way for us to get an introduction. I will definitely look into that. Thanks!

Very cool TrapLine, thank you. I was just reading those regs. I always have a fishing license with an ocean enhancement, but I will have to pick up a report card.

Are the piers pretty busy with other fishermen? I'm not one for crowds, but I will give it a go. And I've seen some of the cool stuff you have caught; my boys would lose their mind. They love any kind of critters, dead or alive. Clamming sounds fun too, but I've heard it is few and far between these days. Love me some clams/mussels

This time of year wont be to many people on the piers, especially after dark there will just be a few shark fishermen, except Huntington beach pier aways seems to stay crowded with all the shops and restaurants near by. I have not been to any of the SD piers so not sure on those. I usually only use the piers to make bait and then fish from the sand.

I have tried clamming too but around me in OC we don't have shallow enough beaches for the tides to really recede and open up a-lot of wet sand except for the occasional negative low and even then only a handful of beaches are shallow enough. They constantly change shape after every storm so can be shallow one time and deep the next. Supposed to be really good up in NorCal.

I second Baller’s recommendation. My opinion is don’t waste your money on hooping gear that you’ll rarely use. I say rarely because the success rate off piers is extremely low and the gear loss rate from jetties is extremely high. Take the boys on a SD sportboat lobster trip. Or if you can swing the cost, Gail Force in Long Beach does very successful combo fish and hoop trips to Catalina.

Always wanted to get into that but never had the time.. I even picked up a pitchfork years back that's just sitting there. My grandpa had rad pics and stories of him at IB and the Silver Strand in the 50s and 60s crushing some clams.. I'm bummed I've never given it a try.

You can hoop net off of pretty much anything that floats. A guy posted on IG couple days ago of four legal lobsters he caught hooping off of his surfboard. I’m looking to purchase an inflatable raft to go out this season but plan on staying inside the breakwalls.

I just wouldn’t float tube in the ocean with all that chum in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can hoop net off of pretty much anything that floats. A guy posted on IG couple days ago of four legal lobsters he caught hooping off of his surfboard. I’m looking to purchase an inflatable raft to go out this season but plan on staying inside the breakwalls.

I just wouldn’t float tube in the ocean with all that chum in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guys that float tube the harbors are crazy, hard pass for me, waters to cold.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu