Gun Predicament

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Hello,

So earlier this year I decided to buy a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 PRC and so far it has been shooting well. However, the rifle was listed at 6.5 lb (for short action) but actually weighed 7.8 lb from the factory. When I shouldered it, it did feel heavier than I was anticipated but I shrugged it off and moved forward with buying it. My initial plan was to have an 8lb deer gun, putting a ~20 oz scope and a spartan bipod to keep the weight down....

Now I am in a predicament...my 8 lb deer gun is now a 9 lbs deer gun. Now I am wondering if I should I just re-barrel it to a 300 WSM and then buy another 6.5 PRC that is in the weight class that I want? Just deal with the weight and buy the 300 WM (or other 30 cal mag) that I want? I am not opposed to having a heavier gun when it is shooting a 30 cal magnum.

I know I need to give fine firearms a call (but I know that @NBK will see this) but would also like to hear others opinions.

Ideally I would get all of the above but wife only agreed that I can buy 1 more gun this year...she now knows a gun also means another 1k scope

Reactions: Dawnandusk
9lbs is not a super heavy rifle. Especially if you are planning on shooting that gun over 500 yards. Are you worried about the weight solely for off hand shooting or for packing reasons? If it’s for packing reasons you could shave a few lbs elsewhere guaranteed. I would run the gun for a season and then if you hate it do something else. Everything I hear is the opposite guys build a really light gun and leave it in the safe because they don’t like the way they shoot.

One example. Steve from EXO prefers his heavier creedmore over his ultralight PRC.

I am not knocking ultralight guns but do some research on some forums and there are a lot of guys leaving them in the safe. I want to build a super light 16” barrel 308 at some point so everyone don’t get all worked up and think I hate ultralight guns.

Yeah that is fair. The weight is definitely more about packing but I guess I use to run a 10 lb 300 WM when i first started hunting and when i switched over to my 7.5 lb tikka in 308 it was felt like a feather. I guess in my mind if I was going to run a heavier rifle it would be for one of the 300 magnums or a 338 WM.

At least the gun shoots well. As always, I appreciate your input!

Jake what are your plans for the rifle? I assume since it’s a prec and you are running a G7 you want to take longer shots correct? I just have a hard time rebuilding a new rifle before running it on some hunts. The fact that you are considering this confirms that we need to be friends though.

If you want a real light gun the SAKOs are pretty sweet and hard to beat.

one nice thing about a light rifle is you can run the heavier optics. We are starting to see a lot of the long range hunting scopes drop in weight though. That new Razor is a good option.

I would love to see nightforce step up their game and lighten their scopes.

Reactions: JakeSCH
Haha I really like my tools almost as much as hunting.

My plan was to have a flat shooting deer / antelope gun that I would be fine hauling around on my shoulder...one for shooting out to 400 yards without much holdover but with the ability to stretch out to 600 yards comfortably on game. Heavy guns are annoying after the first 1000 ft of elevation gain and worse when hauling out a full pack. One thing is certain is that the weight does make it easier to shoot.

I am leaning towards that Razor LHT for my next rifle, exceptional for the price and weight.

In addition I plan on adding a new 30 cal magnum as an elk / moose gun.

So it comes down to if I want a lightweight deer gun or not. I really like Fierce Firearms new Rival and would go that route for a new 6.5 PRC.

Maybe I just get a new 30 cal (leaning towards 300 WM but love the 300 PRC as well) and upgrade the PRC down the road.

Too many good options!

For those ranges I like the 20” barrel 6.5 PRC. I like the design of the clymr just not the price. Just bite the bullet and get FFA going on this years dream whatever that is. The nice thing is the price will be spread over 6-8 months.

For those ranges I like the 20” barrel 6.5 PRC. I like the design of the clymr just not the price. Just bite the bullet and get FFA going on this years dream whatever that is. The nice thing is the price will be spread over 6-8 months.
I agree the Clymr stock is sweet, I have that stock on a 22 creed. Very light with a carbon barrel

Okay, I think I've decided to buy a new 30 cal now with a plan to rebuild the 6.5 PRC after the season (I can always start buying parts now). I really like the action and trigger on the Christensen but really like the idea of replacing the barrel with higher twist rate proof barrel.

I agree, I like the Clymr stock! I may have to go the route but we will see.

Reactions: TRICER
Got a good deal on a new proof research mountain hunter in green granite. A guy bought it for a build then decided to go a different route. Swapping out stocks will save 20 oz off and get me near the 8 lb mark that I want.

However, it is meant for a "sendero" profile and my current barrel is like a #3 / magnum sporter. Eventually I will upgrade the barrel to the Proof carbon fiber with the sendero profile but wondering if there are any major cons installing it with my current barrel? Basically I want to put more rounds through the barrel before I replace it.

I know this will produce a larger gap between barrel / stock, but what cons are there in this? Should I hold off until i get a new barrel?

Razor LHT for my next rifle, exceptional for the price and weight.
The Leupold Mark 5hd 3.6-18 comes in around 25 oz. for another light weight (in its class) scope option. Its about 5oz heavier than the Razor LHT but an awesome scope. Has a 35mm tube instead of 30mm.

I have the boys carry the sendero when it must be carried...never a problem..and that thing kills alot of shit..not sure how heavy it is...but damn its heavy...but not to heavy for the truck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu