Hate these things

Interesting catch. I’ve never caught one inshore. Caught many in lobster hoop nets at Catalina. Unbelievably slippery critters.

When I pulled him up out of the water he just balled up, had to let gravity straighten him out just to get to his head. I have seen them destroy wire shark leaders by twisting them up, can pretty much just salvage the hardware and the rest is garbage.

Hate those things! Hooked one fishing off the rocks down in Baja once. Didn't want to get anywhere near those teeth. I was trying to figure out what to do with it as I was bringing it up on the rocks and it bit the line and broke off. Just as happy to watch it slither back into the water than have to deal with it. I do hear that they are good eating though. (No personal experience.)

you should have one latch onto your hand when you reach into the rocks for a lobster....... fear the lil glow in the dark shrimp. where they are the big eels are

Seeing that face underwater is a test of the nerves for sure, especially at night. Good tip on the glowing shrimp

Hate those things! Hooked one fishing off the rocks down in Baja once. Didn't want to get anywhere near those teeth. I was trying to figure out what to do with it as I was bringing it up on the rocks and it bit the line and broke off. Just as happy to watch it slither back into the water than have to deal with it. I do hear that they are good eating though. (No personal experience.)

Had same thing happen in Ensenada at like 8yo. Me and some adult. our lines got twisted together. ?Me fishing with a Bamboo pole and about 12 ft of line, like I always did. We raised him out and over to a tide pool on the rocks. At first he wanted to go into a crevice and I was like No-no, not today buddy, I know that trick. That adult was no help what so ever. He was freaked by the teeth. I was too, but knew how to approach cautiously. Had him go fetch a rock from the shore, and than I beat the snot outta that things head til it stopped moving. A local family was all to happy to take it off my hands afterward.

We use to hoop in a small 12’ aluminum boat. We pulled one of those into the boat and it went onto the floor and was pissed. Definitely one of my funniest hooping memories.

Their teeth are angled inward, once it bites you it is not letting go, and then the thing will wrap around also. You would have to use @Larry method above to get it off you. Thats what I love about ocean fishing, never know what you will get.

Going to work the piers tomorrow and see if I can find the macs, need to make bait.

As a kid I remembered somebody told me if you grab a snake or Eel.. you have to remember to grab them with two hands.. a ways apart... otherwise... they'll use their body and wrap it around your arm... then...pull their head out of your grasp... and bite ya!

So holding in two points is to prevent them using their body to wrap around you for leverage to free themselves.

If I ever hooked any thing dangerous
I cut the line lol, never would bring it into the boat lol. I got stupid once I tried gaffing a shark that was a bad mistake. Lol almost lost my gaft to a death roll. So I made a flying gaff with a strong rope. Hook it release then kill it. Lol.

Lee,

I don't even like handling sculpin...Got spined once, trying to flip it off my hook...Most excruciating pain I've ever experienced. o_O
Lol ya I got nailed few with these guys. Man that hurts. I like to eat
Sculpin. Delicious. So I started carring gloves and a large wire cutters. I would cut off their spines.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu