Have any local guys tried this method????

I guess it's not the safest tactic around but you guys do realize that these footages are done in wide open fields on private property that much larger than what we have out here. As long as it's safe than Why not. I too don't like to stalk turkeys and pretty much hunt the old fashion way by calling them in but I have also gotten into toms by getting ahead of them and ambushing. as long as you're not bumping someone else's hunt or doing unsafe things, then do what's best for the set up that you have. Most people tend to see why stalking a turkey doesn't work well when they get busted before they are in shooting range. I have used creek bottoms to get closer to birds or use a hillside to belly crawl towards a turkey to cut the distance. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If I could legally do it, I probably would try this tactic when hunting MCC on some of the wide open spots as long as I know there's no one hunting near me :)

Matagi said:
I guess it's not the safest tactic around but you guys do realize that these footages are done in wide open fields on private property that much larger than what we have out here. As long as it's safe than Why not. I too don't like to stalk turkeys and pretty much hunt the old fashion way by calling them in but I have also gotten into toms by getting ahead of them and ambushing. as long as you're not bumping someone else's hunt or doing unsafe things, then do what's best for the set up that you have. Most people tend to see why stalking a turkey doesn't work well when they get busted before they are in shooting range. I have used creek bottoms to get closer to birds or use a hillside to belly crawl towards a turkey to cut the distance. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If I could legally do it, I probably would try this tactic when hunting MCC on some of the wide open spots as long as I know there's no one hunting near me :)
Well said

Like I said, I have killed a lot of turkeys and have never needed to risk my life to do it. The first thing they teach you at a turkey hunting seminar is safety. One of the aspects of safety is not to wear the colors of a gobbler ie red white and blue so why would you do something even worse and put what looks like a turkey right in front of your face.
Next thing we will see is people wearing deer suits complete with antlers to sneak up on deer.

Like I said to each his own. I'm sure these guys aren't intentionally putting them selves in harmed way. I think we are all mature hunters who are safety oriented. I don't think anyone would intentionally go stalk turkeys with a strutter in front of them on McGee flats but this would be a interesting way to hunt them on place like my aunts large farm in southern Illinois where no one hunts it. I would just say have an open mind and entertain other forms of hunting that you and I may have never used before and just use common sense when doing something like this. Either way I like it.

Over the Christmas holidays I got to hunt the property where much of the movie the patriot was filmed (Fort Lawn, SC right over the NC/SC border from Charlotte). And even on a spread that big and looked after I wouldn't risk having a poacher shoot at me behind a decoy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
My photo didn't make it through and I may have screwed up
The message thread in the process. I'll see about how I can fix things.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu