Have yet to hunt dove in CA

Ajsnack

Jun 5, 2012
San Diego
I have hunted doves on the east coast in NC. We would hunted fields of sunflowers or millet and set a few decoys out and wait for the doves. Just trying to find out what I need to look for to find a decent spot to hunt doves. What is there main food source around here?

Most people around here go down to the Imperial valley to hunt dove. Most will scout a week or two before season and try to find fields they are feeding in. If the birds aren't there, they will drive around till they find a field the birds are feeding in. They like the harvested wheat fields. (at least that's what I think)

I have had a blast shooting dove in our local mountains, You will have to do some scouting and find a pond they are going to water in the evening. If you find the right pond,there will be a lot of shooting action the last hour of daylight.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu