Head down in shame. Gonna haunt my dreams.

Handgun

Jun 28, 2014
Imperial Valley
So I've been working this ag/livestock spot with unwanted coyotes, trying to learn the ropes, etc. for a couple weeks I guess, early and late, despite triple digit heat, cuz I said I would get couple for them. I was about ready to quit or try bait/visual aids.
Been borrowing a FoxPro, but it's been eating batteries. Yesterday went scouting and then put another fresh set in and it was dead almost immediately...so I broke out the Primos Hot Dog I'd bought the day before to try to learn to use it.
I was squawking away like an idiot for a few minutes, kinda starting to get the hang of an Invitation howl and I noticed a coyote coming in from a few hundred out across a field. I prone out on the berm, zoom in, and...MISS! I shot too soon even though I knew better. Too much excitement. I never miss rabbits...they ain't exciting I guess.
I'd gone out and practiced ranging/shooting on a life size cardboard coyote cutout recently, and knew that when the body filled the coarse lines in the reticle, that's 200yd, and about what I should limit my shooting distance to. Thinking back and looking at Google Earth, it think it was about 300yd. He ran straight away, then curved for several hundred yards back towards cover, I could see him in the scope forever, torture. I hate to miss, esp. after all that time and gas money. Live and learn, gotta steel up the nerves against the adrenaline from seeing them coming. I've killed a couple before but they just popped up close, bangflop, no drama.

Handgun said:
So I've been working this ag/livestock spot with unwanted coyotes, trying to learn the ropes, etc. for a couple weeks I guess, early and late, despite triple digit heat, cuz I said I would get couple for them. I was about ready to quit or try bait/visual aids.
Been borrowing a FoxPro, but it's been eating batteries. Yesterday went scouting and then put another fresh set in and it was dead almost immediately...so I broke out the Primos Hot Dog I'd bought the day before to try to learn to use it.
I was squawking away like an idiot for a few minutes, kinda starting to get the hang of an Invitation howl and I noticed a coyote coming in from a few hundred out across a field. I prone out on the berm, zoom in, and...MISS! I shot too soon even though I knew better. Too much excitement. I never miss rabbits...they ain't exciting I guess.
I'd gone out and practiced ranging/shooting on a life size cardboard coyote cutout recently, and knew that when the body filled the coarse lines in the reticle, that's 200yd, and about what I should limit my shooting distance to. Thinking back and looking at Google Earth, it think it was about 300yd. He ran straight away, then curved for several hundred yards back towards cover, I could see him in the scope forever, torture. I hate to miss, esp. after all that time and gas money. Live and learn, gotta steel up the nerves against the adrenaline from seeing them coming. I've killed a couple before but they just popped up close, bangflop, no drama.

Handgun

we all learn from our mistakes. I take it as a positive. you were able to draw one out. thats half the battle. & a good job. we all have to practice . I am jack of all trades and master of none. but it keeps things exciting. & at least you are getting out. my skin is crawling cause I can not seem to get any hunting time in. too much crap I have to deal with. like work . hahahaha

I wasn't there but when we have them close under 50yards almost every varmint I've shot.

Thanks Ghost. I am lucky living here even thought it's super hot, I can hunt/shoot/whatever every morning early and evening late and weekends as much as I can stay awake.

Yeah, SDB...all I had to do was chill out and wait. Although I'm pretty sure he was circling downwind...there was the slightest air movement, not even a breeze, but I knew I couldn't wait forever...I just should have waited longer. I hate missing and I hate training them.

Good work getting him to come in...........Part of the thrill of hunting is the excitement and the anticipation of the kill...... With experience, comes steadiness.......... ;)

Right on handgun!! I'm sure next time you will get them... keep at it!

Thanks, y'all.

ilovespring, I was just thinking the other day, I love spring too...all the critters reproducing and showing up...always gives me the itch to get out and hunt even though it's getting hot.

Here's my first (only) successful called yote from a couple weeks ago, popped out of the trees 50 yds in front of me as soon as I turned on cottontail distress.

72B52BCE-48D1-4AD1-8671-1865F4CA057C_zpsdyfk3xhe.jpg

never hang your head in shame!!!!!!!!!!!! its the funny ones we remember and laugh about later. Get out there and get it on, Each time you will get better and better. I still blow it from time to time :) when it stops being exciting ill stop doing it

if your caller is chewing up batteries like mad there are a couple things you can do. One is try the Nimh batteries. Eneloop's are what you are looking for. Not all Nimh batteries are the same. They are rechargeable so you can have two sets with one charging at all times. The big change is they do not suffer from voltage drop under load. Normal AA batteries drop like a rock when you put them under load. It's why your call sounds fuzzy or blown out at full volume sometimes. NiMh's do much much better under load and will keep the distortion at a minimum.

If you are a RC guy and have a Lipo charger you might as well step up to a lipo pack. On my hellfire i run a lipo pack and it runs and runs and runs. I did not use the one foxpro sells but its not rocket science. a 3S pack at 11.1v and you are good to go. foxpro's setup it is about 100 bucks but you can get that down to half or less with your own charger and pack. :) lipo's have almost no voltage drop under load till they die so you have to watch out and not over use them. They do not like being discharged all the way.

Handgun said:
Thanks, y'all.

ilovespring, I was just thinking the other day, I love spring too...all the critters reproducing and showing up...always gives me the itch to get out and hunt even though it's getting hot.

Here's my first (only) successful called yote from a couple weeks ago, popped out of the trees 50 yds in front of me as soon as I turned on cottontail distress.

72B52BCE-48D1-4AD1-8671-1865F4CA057C_zpsdyfk3xhe.jpg

HG,

It's actually, I Love Sprig......Like in the duck (pintail)......But who's counting......I love the spring as well......Hearing gobblers, seeing the young of the year, and nature coming alive cleanses the soul...... ;)

Heck, maybe I'll change to I Love Spring........lol

ps...........Great going on the dog........... ;D

hey Steve given where your club is you should be ilovebootlips

Aeon said:
hey Steve given where your club is you should be ilovebootlips

Funny Bill................I do love em.................lol

Attachments

• henshaw-Wister 1-22-11 050.JPG
    henshaw-Wister 1-22-11 050.JPG
    983.6 KB · Views: 34
Aeon, thanks...the caller is borrowed. I think I'm going to return it to the lender, but I'm afraid something is wrong with it because the batts that were in it when I bought it lasted a while and everything since has lasted less and less, like a 12 pack of duracells and then these rayovacs last lasted two howls, that's it. I'm gonna call FoxPro, reckon it's on me to make sure it's OK.

Gonna work with the mouth calls, they are a lot less hassle. I have a Circe for distress, it called me a bobcat once.

Sprig...wow, reading comprehension FAIL, haha!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu