Healthy game?

I am with Steve, don't over think it. Obviously know you game check your rabbits liver and don't eat bear that is under cooked unless you get it tested for trig. Other than that don't sweat it. I like a lot of my game on the rare side depending on the species and I am yet to get sick.

Reactions: Danny Sanchez Jr
Oh ok cool. I just wanted to check because I've never actually eaten a rabbit or anything else wild like that. I'm new to hunting that's why lol. But thank you as well

it is very rare, but that said it is personnel preference. heard of people getting sick from eating under cooked farm pork.
when you find out your sick it is bad news. gets in the blood, muscles , and organs your done.
i like my stuff well cooked, it kills 99.9 % of stuff. i like to gut my game for that reason so i can see if it's healthy.
out of hundreds of rabbits i may have tossed 2 or 3. for disease. just be aware. not knowing is worst.

here in San Diego I have never had a sick deer. but that has been my experience here. Rabbit yes, open them up and guess what liver is infested.

Similar experience here. I tossed a rabbit once because it had a sickly liver, with dull yellow spots and striations. Also tossed a euro once that had been shot up before.. nasty scar tissue all over its breast meat from having survived another hunter.

Sick animals rarely IMO get to live long enough in the wild for us to see them....Although, I have seen deer that probably have blue tongue here in SD (pic)

I filet my rabbits. So, I never see a liver or even guts for that matter.....And I'm still kicking despite cleaning a lot of rabbits in my old age.

.IMG_9116.JPG

Sick animals rarely IMO get to live long enough in the wild for us to see them....

I filet my rabbits. So, I never see a liver or even guts for that matter.....And I'm still kicking despite cleaning a lot of rabbits in my old age.
True, true. I'm used to wearing gloves in my line of work, and if I were ever to get myself or anyone else sick from game I've killed and prepared, I don't think I'd ever live it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu