Help get the information out. Fish and Game Commission "San Diego"

wheels

Mar 1, 2011
East County, Ca
sdcvc.com
Before I start, I want you all to know that this is something I have been personally working on for more than a year. I do have a good amount of background on this issue. I speak with many professional that have fish and game experience. I have had many phone conversations with Sonke Mastrup Executive Director of FGC. I am involved with the Hunter Right Task Force through CRPA and also with the Al Taucher Conservation Coalition. Anyone that knows me, know I am completely open to chat with anyone. I will be willing to get anyone up to speed on the current issues ahead of us. It isn't to late to get involved. Not everyone can be a speaker, but we all can be involved.......... So, now onto the message :)

Some people might be asking, what is the Fish and Game Commission and who cares if they are in San Diego?

Well this is the Answer:

​"​ There is often confusion about the distinction between the Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Fish and Game Commission. In the most basic terms, theDepartment of Fish and Wildlife is charged with implementing and enforcing the regulations set by the Fish and Game Commission, as well as providing biological data and expertise to inform the Commission’s decision making process." ​

Now that you know who the F&GC is, I ask you to please mark your Calendar for August 6th, 2014. The meeting starts at 0830. Yes, that is in 12 days. The meeting address is on the agenda

The agenda can be seen at this link.
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/aug/080614agd.pdf​

As a friend of mine put it
"This could be a very pivotal meeting in defining the future of hunting in California."

Agenda item 10
is what we are interested in hearing about.​

So you ask, what can I do?

• You can come to the meeting and listen to the commission and learn about the process.
  • Speak if you feel led (If you don't know what to talk about I can help you with this)
  • Help show a presence in the room of Hunter/Conservationists. (Because there will be a presence of the Anti's for sure)
  • Don't wear you hunting clothes, club shirts or anything like that. Wear something nice because the Anti's are professionals

On the 28th of July there will be a Wildlife Resource Committee meeting in Sacramento and we should have feedback from our group that is representing us. This feedback will help us plan for Aug 6.

So until then, please let me know if you plan on attending this meeting in San Diego. We really do need your presence at the meeting. It really is important even if you don't talk. Just being there will help show that San Diego cares about its hunting.

Thanks

Robert Williams
President
San Diego County Varmint Callers

Received this from Bob Smith today.......Jim Conrad is one of our San Diego F & W commissioners..........I most certainly will be there.

Today at 3:32 PM

Dear SDCWF Delegates,

This is a reminder that the Fish and Game Commission will meet in San Diego on 6 August, 2014. As many of you know, the anti-hinting community is making a big push to change the regulations related to predator hunting. This issue will be before the Wildlife Resources Committee at their 28 July meeting in Sacramento. Fortunately, April Wakeman and Jim Conrad are planning to attend this meeting, so we should know early next week what issues are likely to arise at the F&GC meeting.

Please put the 6 August date on your calendar and make an effort to attend. This could be a very pivotal meeting in defining the future of hunting in California. The meeting will start at 8:30 AM. Please note the change in location; it will now be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Golf Resort, 14455 Penasquitos Drive. This is a link to view the agenda for the F&GC meeting: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/aug/080614agd.pdf.

I will try to send out further information on what to expect at the 6 August meeting next week after I receive feedback on the results of the Wildlife Resources Committee meeting.

Please forward this to all of your organization's members and encourage them to attend if at all possible.

Regards,
Bob Smith

You guys rock for the effort you put into this. thank you very very much

You can watch all commission meetings online after the meetings have been completed. http://www.cal-span.org/cgi-bin/media.pl?folder=CFG

This way you can follow the meeting which are in different locations around the state. You can write person letters to the commission on the subject. You can read about the issues and learn about them so you can become more informed about the current situations. Then once you are informed you can educate others on how to stay involved. You can become a member of CRPA because they are helping fund some of the fight.

I would say there a good amount of hunters that just want to be left alone and not be bothered by anyone. They enjoy being out in the field and don't really desire getting too involved in preserving hunting. But you see the anti's have taken great advantage of this. They show up to every meeting. The professional ones are paid to be their. So while we stand in the field enjoying our hunting trips they are in the meetings. They a removing one item at a time from our fish and hunting abilities. California set the stage for every state. This is why we must be involved.

Thanks for the info Wheels. I am very much interested in preserving our hunting rights, unfortunately I will be out to sea on the 6th.

Re: Help get the information out. Fish and Game Commission "San Diego"

Thanks for this info and for your leadership Wheels, Sprig, MJB and all. I can't get out of my work duties but will check the proceedings online.

Sent via Tapatalk

I am going. I'd like to talk to you let me know what I can do to help and not just be a body

Sdbirds said:
I am going. I'd like to talk to you let me know what I can do to help and not just be a body

I am just going to add Bob's comments because he puts it very well. Please read and I hope to see many attend.

Wheels
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear SDCWF Delegates,

I encourage all of those interested in preserving our right to hunt to attend the 6 August meeting of the Fish and Game Commission (F&GC). This meeting will be held at Double Tree by Hilton Golf Resort in San Diego at 14455 Penaquitos Drive. The meeting will start at 8:30 Am. However, I encourage you to arrive by 8:00 AM because a large crowd (not all of whom are supportive of our cause) is likely to be present.

Now that the Wildlife Resources Committee (WRC) meeting has taken place, we have a clearer picture of what might come up at the 6 August meeting of the Fish and Game Commission. Below are the agenda items that are likely to be controversial:

• Item 10 - Inducements for Hunting Contests

The WRC has taken a revised course on this issue, based on input from their own lawyers. They are setting aside their previously proposed regulatory change and adding a new request to develop language that will specifically prohibit inducements (prizes of cash value) for nongame and furbearer hunting contests. Other mammal contests (such as big buck contests) will not be affected. I believe this in no longer an issue for us (SDCWF). However, as happened the last time this was on the agenda, you can expect some environmentalists to take this opportunity to bring up other non-agenda items, such as prohibiting all bobcat hunting.

• Item 25 (G) - Staff Report on WRC Meeting of 28 July

There remains a significant issue whether the WRC meetings are being conducted with proper and transparent procedures. There is also an issue whether it is appropriate for the Commission to designate a third Commissioner to sit on the WRC. There may also be an issue whether all concerned parties have equal access to the Committee, and whether their inputs are given equal weight in the WRC's deliberations. You can also expect to hear some public input that the WRC (and the F&GC) should base all of their policy changes on sound scientific data, in contrast to the emotional responses that are currently being discussed.

• Item 29 - Presentation on Lead Ammunition Concerns

There will be a meeting at our local Fish and Wildlife office to discuss planning for the transition to only lead-free ammunition. The results of this meeting could be summarized here. It is not clear who will be giving this presentation. However, at the WRC meeting a paper sponsored by HSUS was presented indicating that non-lead ammunition of all types was readily available in California. This paper had many flaws, and is likely to be challenged under Item 29. The Commission is likely to remind everyone that the transition to non-lead ammo is a mandate (AB 711), and that they have only been tasked to plan its implementation.

• Item 30 - Public Forum

One never knows what will come up in this forum because it is exclusively dedicated to anything that in NOT on the agenda. This session is often entertaining, and sometimes the radical views expressed are disturbing. There is no real way to respond to whatever is said in this session.
This is a link to the agenda for the meeting. If you want to submit written inputs or speak at the meeting (usually restricted to two minutes), procedures for doing so are provided at the end of the agenda:

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/aug/080614agd.pdf

Even if you do not plan on speaking, your presence will help show the Commissioners that there is a large hunting (and fishing) contingent in San Diego. It is also interesting to see in person how our hunting and fishing regulations are established.

Regards,
Bob Smith
President, San Diego County Wildlife Federation

Re: Help get the information out. Fish and Game Commission "San Diego"

Thanks Wheels, Bob and Steve

Sent via Tapatalk

Tomorrow is the day. I will be at the meeting before 8am. If you want to get a seat I would recommend the same.

Just remember this is a meeting full of professionals so, I recommend you dress as one yourself.

Thanks

Robert

wheels said:
Tomorrow is the day. I will be at the meeting before 8am. If you want to get a seat I would recommend the same.

Just remember this is a meeting full of professionals so, I recommend you dress as one yourself.

Thanks

Robert

Josh and I are going

Se ya'll there........... ;D

They'll also be a formal complaint made about Chairman Sutton. This should stir the pot some........ ;)

MJB said:
So what happened when Sutton came up?

I had to work

Mark,

I left before the fireworks........I still can't get over commissioner Jack Baylis using the terminology of "slaughtered piles of coyotes"........I also noticed that commissioner Jacky Hostler-Carmesin slapped when the HSUS rep was finished talking.......Real unbiased commissioners........... ::)

Jack Baylis probably disturbed me more than anyone else at that entire meeting because of the fact that he is in a position of authority and should not be making decisions or suggestions based on emotion. He sat there and said that he has no problem with predator hunting and no problem with contest hunting as long as there are not multiple animals being "slaughtered". I find it hypocritical on the part of the commission because earlier in the meeting they decided it was okay for there to be no season or limit statewide on eurasian collared doves which would mean that more of them are going to be "slaughtered" according to Jack Baylis's point of view. He also said that he is open to imposing limits on coyotes and tags for coyotes. We currently don't have a season or limit on coyotes and no requirement to purchase a tag and the population is thriving. I couldn't believe that Vice President Baylis said that without any scientific data to back it up. His response was based entirely on his own personal opinion and I think that he supports the idea of issuing tags for coyote hunting because it is a way to generate money for the state of California and give a little to the anti-hunters at the same time.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu