Help I need a medic

• Thread starter SoCalGuidedHunts
  • Start date
S

SoCalGuidedHunts

A 1989 Jeep wrangler medic! my jeep is not feeling well. Its missing I have changed the plugs, plug wires, distributor, distributor cap and fuel filter. It is still missing feels like running on 2 cylinders and not 4. not sure what or where to go next other then maybe time for a new jeep. :)

Thanks for any help!

Has the truck been over heated? With everything you replaced, it sounds like it has a cracked head. :(

cool thanks for the ideas I will see if I can find whats wrong if not think I might trade it in on sunday for a new 4 door jeep. But I know it will never be like this one!

A quick way to do a compression check that will catch big base engine problems is to crank the engine over by the starter relay with the key off. Basicly crank it over using the starter but disable it so it won't try to start. Also I would put a guage on the fuel pressure.

fordfan1 said:
A quick way to do a compression check that will catch big base engine problems is to crank the engine over by the starter relay with the key off. Basicly crank it over using the starter but disable it so it won't try to start. Also I would put a guage on the fuel pressure.

That's what I would do when I was watching you

Are you sure it's missing? If you put your hand near the exhaust you should feel pulsing when the cylinders aren't firing (if it's not missing you'll feel a steady stream). Usually a missing engine will run very loud as well.

Was the problem the same before and after changing the distributor? In changing the whole thing (as opposed to just the cap) you can screw up the timing. Also, was the coil changed with the distributor? It may be bad. Also, does the distributor have points (which must be set to the correct gap) or is it electronic ignition?

Without more info, I would say definitely check the timing. It is very easy to do, without disassembling anything, provided you can get a timing gun.

Have you checked the radiator bearing? It's about half way down the radiator and when it fails it disables one spark plug so you know its out.

To test for it just open the cap up ( when its cool not hot) and listen with your ear down close. if its bad you will hear a weee wee hoo sound.

msteiger said:
Are you sure it's missing? If you put your hand near the exhaust you should feel pulsing when the cylinders aren't firing (if it's not missing you'll feel a steady stream). Usually a missing engine will run very loud as well.

Was the problem the same before and after changing the distributor? In changing the whole thing (as opposed to just the cap) you can screw up the timing. Also, was the coil changed with the distributor? It may be bad. Also, does the distributor have points (which must be set to the correct gap) or is it electronic ignition?

Without more info, I would say definitely check the timing. It is very easy to do, without disassembling anything, provided you can get a timing gun.

Yes it is running louder and the jeep shakes when it is running but it will not idle. Yes it is all still the same problem after changing all that stuff and that is why I posted cause I have no idea what it could be. So though I would ask.
When I changed the distributor cap I also changed the part inside that goes around ( I dont know the name of it ) is that the part your saying has to be gaped?

[/quote]

Yes it is running louder and the jeep shakes when it is running but it will not idle. Yes it is all still the same problem after changing all that stuff and that is why I posted cause I have no idea what it could be. So though I would ask.
When I changed the distributor cap I also changed the part inside that goes around ( I dont know the name of it ) is that the part your saying has to be gaped?
[/quote]

I'm almost positive you will have electronic ignition in that distributor (relatively standard after the mid 70s), so you don't have anything to gap. However, it might still affect your timing. That said, if the problem was the same before and after you changed the distributor, it seems unlikely the problem is in the distributor.

I would say next step is to check timing with a timing gun. You might know someone who could lend you one? Once you have the gun it's trivial to check timing. If it's off it can definitely cause missing, especially in multiple cylinders (if in fact you have that). After that you could do a compression check, which is more work but still fairly easy to do at home.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic, some of this might be crap. But I have worked a lot on old cars.

go down to autozone or some other place you can rent a timing light. Watch a youtube video on how to check your timing. report back what you see.

Pull a spark plug and take a photo and post it here. if you still have the old plugs take a photo of them and post that too....

Check your oil is it clean? does it look like peanut butter?

Ok sounds good I will grab my timing light and check it out. I have a big Snap-on tool box full of Snap-on tool that my dad left me when he passed away. only if I knew half of what he did about cars!!!

Well the last jeep I owned was a 1969 Jeepster Commando wagon with the old Buick V6, but from what I've heard about the Wranglers of around the late 1980's, their carburetors fouled with time. If yours hasn't been rebuilt, that's a possible cause of rough running engine especially if your engine is a 4.2L. Do you have a 4.2, and has the carb ever been rebuilt?
Just askin'...
:)

There is an awesome jeep forum with guys on there that know everything there's to know about jeeps, it's called JeepForum.com check it out.. That site has kept my 84 CJ7 running for the last 3 years I have owned it... Good luck

is it a manual or automatic trans
what does the engine oil look like
what does the coolant look like
if its an auto trans what does the fluid look and smell like

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu