Help I need a medic

• Thread starter SoCalGuidedHunts
  • Start date
ivhunter said:
There is an awesome jeep forum with guys on there that know everything there's to know about jeeps, it's called JeepForum.com check it out.. That site has kept my 84 CJ7 running for the last 3 years I have owned it... Good luck

I agree ivhunter, that's a great site.

Don

Bonejour said:
Well the last jeep I owned was a 1969 Jeepster Commando wagon with the old Buick V6, but from what I've heard about the Wranglers of around the late 1980's, their carburetors fouled with time. If yours hasn't been rebuilt, that's a possible cause of rough running engine especially if your engine is a 4.2L. Do you have a 4.2, and has the carb ever been rebuilt?
Just askin'...
:)

it has the 4 cylinder in it

I think its time to sale it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have spent to much time on it already and have missed two weekends hunting! Think its time to get back on the road.

Thanks for all your help!

Can't leave us hanging. We need to know what the problem was!!!! :mad:

John

I am not leaving anyone hanging. I have had it with this jeep and want to buy a new 4 door jeep. It would work better for me anyways. So I am going to be on the phone this week and see if I cant be in a new jeep by the weekend. I need to get out hunting ASAP!

Your jeep is a YJ and they have one very well known problem that pops up.
Before you give up on it, check the wiring harness where it passes through the firewall for dirty/corroded connectors.
I've known a couple of people that this has happened to.
For some reason during the early YJ years the connector was susceptible to moisture and corrodes very easily.
i know the in the 6 cyl motor that connector also has the computer in it.
One of the guys at my old work chased this problem around for over a year trying to figure out what was wrong with it.
In his case he had to send it into a place to have it rebuilt since no one manufactures them any more.

Also, ivhunter is right.
jeepfourm.com is a great place to check.

Jim said:
Your jeep is a YJ and they have one very well known problem that pops up.
Before you give up on it, check the wiring harness where it passes through the firewall for dirty/corroded connectors.
I've known a couple of people that this has happened to.
For some reason during the early YJ years the connector was susceptible to moisture and corrodes very easily.
i know the in the 6 cyl motor that connector also has the computer in it.
One of the guys at my old work chased this problem around for over a year trying to figure out what was wrong with it.
In his case he had to send it into a place to have it rebuilt since no one manufactures them any more.

Also, ivhunter is right.
jeepfourm.com is a great place to check.

Thanks Jim I will check it out

dude post up the pics......

the reason i asked for the plugs is you can tell pretty easy if you are lean or rich just by how they look. if you are crazy rich then we can sort out the why then. If 3 are good and one is bad then we can sort out the why then.

The timing will tell you if you are getting spark when you are supposed to at least the #1 cyl. Do not move the distributor just check it. If its jumping all over the damn place or retarded or advanced to far we can sort out the why then.

even if you get a new rig you have to get this one going right or you are going to get the big stick up the back side when you sell it or trade it in. besides this is shit you need to learn and we need something to do besides work today

Aeon said:
dude post up the pics......

the reason i asked for the plugs is you can tell pretty easy if you are lean or rich just by how they look. if you are crazy rich then we can sort out the why then. If 3 are good and one is bad then we can sort out the why then.

The timing will tell you if you are getting spark when you are supposed to at least the #1 cyl. Do not move the distributor just check it. If its jumping all over the damn place or retarded or advanced to far we can sort out the why then.

even if you get a new rig you have to get this one going right or you are going to get the big stick up the back side when you sell it or trade it in. besides this is crap you need to learn and we need something to do besides work today

ok so what you want photos of? lol I am at work too and will try to get it running again after 4pm when I get home

photos of the spark plugs.

ok sorry I did not take photos of the plugs as I have found my problem... cylinder 3 has no/low compression it was at 30 when the rest are at 90.. Now I really dont want to spend the money on a new motor. damn!!!!

Thanks for all your help

Ah - my diagnosis was correct! Cracked head. More than likely by the exhaust valve...

Try squirting a little oil in the cylinder and try the compression test again.
If the readings come up, may be rings, if not than NBK is correct.
Either way sucks though :-\

If I was you I would tell these guys the jeep has been sold and has left the country. Or they will never stop fixing it for you. I guess they just really care. ::)

its prolly just the head.....

if dude was smart he would toss it out for a free pig hunt to fix his jeep +parts

Aeon said:
its prolly just the head.....

if dude was smart he would toss it out for a free pig hunt to fix his jeep +parts

Agreed

SoCalGuidedHunts said:
John

I am not leaving anyone hanging. I have had it with this jeep and want to buy a new 4 door jeep. It would work better for me anyways. So I am going to be on the phone this week and see if I cant be in a new jeep by the weekend. I need to get out hunting ASAP!

LOL
Well, there it is. Go get that new toy and have fun!

Don

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu