Helping a Lab mix rescue get adopted

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
My wife and daughter volunteer with a pet rescue operation that brings rescued pets from Baja California to San Diego. I was at one of their adoption events yesterday and learned the story of this lab mix. I haven't posted any dogs in the past and I won't be posting others in the future, but I thought I could get out a marketing campaign to have this great dog adopted to a forever home.

Rocky (formerly named Raphaello by the rescue group) was adopted three weeks ago by a family who really shouldn't have been getting a third dog (they had a 1 year old child and were pregnant with another). So, they brought Rocky back last week. Then, a young-active lady (probably 6 years out of San Diego State Univ) learned from the first family about how great a dog Rocky is and adopted him. This lady also has two other dogs. Between her work and the other two dogs she now thinks she bit off more than she could chew. However, she is committed that this dog will never go back across the border to the organization's shelters in Mexico -so she will keep Rocky if a good family isn't found. If you are looking for a dog that could be a good hunting dog and will definitely be a great hiking dog, then consider adopting Rocky. He is fixed and has had his first two rounds of shots. The adoption fee is $500 which I think is too high and that is a major disagreement I have with this rescue operation (I know they spend all of the money on their rescues but they don't do things efficiently - lots of unnecessary trips across the border, etc). So, if someone from this forum adopts Rocky then I will pay $100 of the adoption fee, meaning the adoption fee to you will be $400.
Rocky is in San Diego and can be met at any time over the next few weeks.

Here is Rocky:
image4 (1).jpegimage3 (8).jpegimage5 (1).jpegimage0 (4).jpegimage1 (9).jpegimage2 (7).jpeg
Here is the description from the Adoption website:
Raphaello - - He has his ears straight up almost all time. Raphaello has been around dogs, and cats and he is good with children. He is very smart and has a good level of healthy pup energy as any puppy does at this age. He is crate trained and have no accidents inside the crate.

He is a 6 month old Shepherd Lab Mix which is a cross of a Shepherd and a Labrador Retriever, also known as Sheprador or Labrashepherd. It’s a medium pup once full grown; this fur kid will be a medium size around 50 pounds to 55 pounds. The combination of these 2 breeds of the Shepherd and the Labrador Retriever, which means you’ll get the best traits from two of the most popular dogs in the world.

Raphaello will be a great partner for running, camping, hunting, hiking, going to the beach, for long walks and a companion for life:)
Below are links to his biography stuff on the rescue's site (Animal Advocates) and on PetFinder. However, I can help you through the adoption process so feel free to contact me directly (that is the way to get the $100 put toward his adoption fee).

I completely agree that their adoption fee is too high (it’s ridiculous). My wife and daughter have been volunteering on weekends with that organization for 5 years, and during that time the adoption fee has tripled.
A few months ago they had a mixed breed hound (knee high with big ears, beagle coloring, and a hound nose). It would have been perfect for someone in this group to adopt, but I couldn’t get myself to recommend it because the $500 fee is crazy high. Fortunately that dog was adopted by a family in San Bernardino (Running Springs), so it is fine. Overall, I think this organization is more interested in a few high dollar adoptions than rescuing lots of dogs. But my wife&daughter enjoy helping the organization (and a happy wife equals a happy life) so I end up seeing the dogs.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu