Henshaw gear list

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
What gear is recommended for waterfowl at lake henshaw?

I already have waders and a few decoys (20). I also have one of those neoprene shell holders.

I already have waders and a few decoys (20). I also have one of those neoprene shell holders.
What he said . Also it can get really cold so good thermal gear especially when laying on the ground. Boats can be useful once you learn the "spots" but you need to be careful as the lake is shallow and the bottom has things that can tear your down drive up....

Did I mention that owning a Benelli SBE helps too.........................:blush:

ps...Henshaw is wet & cold...A quality waterproof jacket, 2 pairs of gloves (fingerless and regular), neck gaiter, camo beanie, a good duck strap, waist neoprene shell belt, and a qood gun strap.

.035.JPG012.JPG033.JPG

Layout blind, spinner or 2, binos, 100 or so more light weight decoys, blind bag, widgeon call...Get your legs in shape,...Mostly long walks ....:blush:
I’ve got one of those 6 in 1 whistles from duck commander, is that the widgeon call you mean?

Should be able to find a blind and bag in Amazon. They have an alpz floating bag for $59. Not sure I’ll get up to 100 decoys this year but I could probably add some. What do you run? Mallard mostly?

I’ll be using my 870.

I’ve got one of those 6 in 1 whistles from duck commander, is that the widgeon call you mean?

Should be able to find a blind and bag in Amazon. They have an alpz floating bag for $59. Not sure I’ll get up to 100 decoys this year but I could probably add some. What do you run? Mallard mostly?

I’ll be using my 870.

They are so many changing conditions at the "Shaw"....A camo backpack with a plastic bottom may be a better choice at times....Lots of good waterfowl packs out there....A bucket has it place, as does a folding chair (very light)....Another must have is the best decoy bag you can afford....One that rides high on the shoulders, with chest & waist straps.

I run mostly GHG floaters, full bodies & skinny widgeon....I use the Buck Gardner widgeon whistle ($8.95)

If you don't know it....Henshaw is very shallow....A good mud seat is something else you may want to add as well...All those little willows are now trees in that last pic.

ps...Your 870 is one of my favorite guns....Flat down the rib, out of the box.

.017.JPG004.JPGthe ranch 12-17-10 005.JPG104.JPGhenshaw 1-16-08 001.jpg

They are so many changing conditions at the "Shaw"....A camo backpack with a plastic bottom may be a better choice at times....Lots of good waterfowl packs out there....A bucket has it place, as does a folding chair (very light)....Another must have is the best decoy bag you can afford....One that rides high on the shoulders, with chest & waist straps.

I run mostly GHG floaters, full bodies & skinny widgeon....I use the Buck Gardner widgeon whistle ($8.95)

If you don't know it....Henshaw is very shallow....A good mud seat is something else you may want to add as well...All those little willows are now trees in that last pic.

ps...Your 870 is one of my favorite guns....Flat down the rib, out of the box.
Maybe it’d help to list what I have so far. I wanted to try duck a few years back but never got to it so I picked up some gear but have never hunted duck before.

Decoys: 12 mallard, 6 gw teal, and 2 coot (just a random gtm purchase on those). I think everything is flambeau. Texas rigged.

Calls: DC duck picker, BG spitfire, DC 6 in 1 whistle.

Shells: a case of Kent fasteel 3” #4.

Misc gear: waders, neoprene shell belt.

No blinds, stools or anything else like that. I’ve got assorted camo clothes/gloves. I’ve got an olive, wool stocking cap I’d use for cold.

It sounds like, at a minimum I need a lay down blind and some sort of blind bag/pack? Maybe some more decoys within my budget.

I use mojos for dove and am a believer in them. I see basspro has a baby mojo combo (2 dekes) for $70.

OK....Lots of ways to hunt Henshaw....If you can't pre launch or set-up...You'll be hunting in willow trees....Add a mud seat or an old directors chair....Again, the lake is very shallow....So, hunting where there's cover is very doable....Maybe some burlap would be good to have too.

Your dove spinners will work for ducks....That dual Mojo pack is better....A few widgeon decoys would be good...Just make sure they're light weigh...Water keels are fine here with no more than 3 oz weights.

Again, unless you're renting a boat...Everything will be on your back (some guys do cart their stuff)....Invest in a good decoy bag (Cabela's)

.decoy bag.jpg

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
OK....Lots of ways to hunt Henshaw....If you can't pre launch or set-up...You'll be hunting in willow trees....Add a mud seat or an old directors chair....Again, the lake is very shallow....So, hunting where there's cover is very doable....Maybe some burlap would be good to have too.

Your dove spinners will work for ducks....That dual Mojo pack is better....A few widgeon decoys would be good...Just make sure they're light weigh...Water keels are fine here with no more than 3 oz weights.

Again, unless you're renting a boat...Everything will be on your back (some guys do cart their stuff)....Invest in a good decoy bag (Cabela's)

.View attachment 51578
What do you mean by pre launch?

Maybe it’d help to list what I have so far. I wanted to try duck a few years back but never got to it so I picked up some gear but have never hunted duck before.

Decoys: 12 mallard, 6 gw teal, and 2 coot (just a random gtm purchase on those). I think everything is flambeau. Texas rigged.

Calls: DC duck picker, BG spitfire, DC 6 in 1 whistle.

Shells: a case of Kent fasteel 3” #4.

Misc gear: waders, neoprene shell belt.

No blinds, stools or anything else like that. I’ve got assorted camo clothes/gloves. I’ve got an olive, wool stocking cap I’d use for cold.

It sounds like, at a minimum I need a lay down blind and some sort of blind bag/pack? Maybe some more decoys within my budget.

I use mojos for dove and am a believer in them. I see basspro has a baby mojo combo (2 dekes) for $70.
What, no DR-85?? Blasphemy lol. I have the 6 in 1 also but I mostly just blow teal and pintail on it.

What, no DR-85?? Blasphemy lol. I have the 6 in 1 also but I mostly just blow teal and pintail on it.

Jason,

I must have a 100 duck calls...The DR-85 is still my fav...And the 6-1 can do a widgeon, but again, the Buck Gardner widgeon whistle (a number of companies make the same call) is best IMO.

.widgeon call.jpeg

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Backing up a little bit, am I understanding you correctly?

with a boat, the lay down blind is the way to go (perhaps ideal) but hoofing in with a smaller spread and a mud stool is a viable option?

Yes...MCC members only on Sunday's....Are you a member?

The mud seat combo makes you more mobil...The lake is shrinking, not only because of lack of water, but because the willows are taking over the shoreline...Hence, the mud seat can give you some space by hunting from the water.

Henshaw is a hard place to hunt...Sitting on a mud seat, laying on cold ground, retrieving birds, and the temps make it challenging...There are may days, the lake shore doesn't thaw out until 10:00 am...Then there's the fog...No bueno.

You probably know this but spinners are not legal until Dec 1

just an FYI….

good luck

Rick,

Thanks for the heads up....Henshaw historically, doesn't opener until after Dec 1....This year it will be either Dec 2nd or 4th.

.027.JPG044.JPG006.JPG159.JPG010.JPG021.JPG

It does get cold in there. I was set up one time and was wondering why my decoys were not moving at first light. They were locked in ice. Water had frozen up over night. I typically keep my dog vested up because the water gets really cold. The hike is no joke so plan accordingly because it is uphill on the way back to the truck unless you have a boat. Shot my first duck there so it will always be a special place.

John

Yes...MCC members only on Sunday's....Are you a member?

The mud seat combo makes you more mobil...The lake is shrinking, not only because of lack of water, but because the willows are taking over the shoreline...Hence, the mud seat can give you some space by hunting from the water.

Henshaw is a hard place to hunt...Sitting on a mud seat, laying on cold ground, retrieving birds, and the temps make it challenging...There are may days, the lake shore doesn't thaw out until 10:00 am...Then there's the fog...No bueno.

Rick,

Thanks for the heads up....Henshaw historically, doesn't opener until after Dec 1....This year it will be either Dec 2nd or 4th.

.View attachment 51581View attachment 51582View attachment 51583View attachment 51584View attachment 51585View attachment 51586
I am a member. Will be out this weekend, hopefully bagging a deer.

Reactions: MAG 1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu