Henshaw reports?

53 guys on Wednesday and 72 yesterday.....No thanks

Hunted today with a guest......Birds were totally shoreline shy.....El Blanko

ps........Now Wister is a different story the last 2 shoot days........ ;)

Attachments

• DSCF0303.JPG
    DSCF0303.JPG
    610.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9809.JPG
    IMG_9809.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9828.JPG
    IMG_9828.JPG
    658.5 KB · Views: 65
Typically no reports means stellar shooting. That's a lot of hunters using that lake on hunt days :eek:

Them MCC members get to shoot Sundays by themselves.

sdhunter said:
Typically no reports means stellar shooting. That's a lot of hunters using that lake on hunt days :eek:

Them MCC members get to shoot Sundays by themselves.

Mike,

Opening day had a number of limits, if you were in the right spot.......Saturday was a different story......I checked the cards. 51 of the 72 guys (parties) had 2 ducks or less.....Lots of zeros.

Yesterday had 8 hunters (MCC members & guests) for zero ducks. The last I heard.

I loved hunting Henshaw, will always be a special place for me. I shot my fastest limit there, albeit the limit was only four birds that season. I loved the fact that it gets cold there, made it feel like a real duck hunt.

sdhunter said:
I loved hunting Henshaw, will always be a special place for me. I shot my fastest limit there, albeit the limit was only four birds that season. I loved the fact that it gets cold there, made it feel like a real duck hunt.

X2...

looks like a great time. ive never been to henshaw. Ive always been on small ponds that do not require decoys. Do you need them out there at henshaw? it looks really big.

Gspman said:
looks like a great time. ive never been to henshaw. Ive always been on small ponds that do not require decoys. Do you need them out there at henshaw? it looks really big.

I've always used as big as spread as possible on the main lake. Back waters, the river, and the marshes are different. A few decoys and a spinner can be very effective.....The birds are IMO starting to relate the spinners to danger though. They just don't seem to work like they used too.

The lake needs a another vertical foot of water or so. Right now, the level is in "No Man's Land".....Too far from the willows and bulrush for blinds. And the shoreline is void of any vegetation for layouts.....The 1st pix are from the 2010-11 season. Hunted in flooded timber that year.....Long ways from those willow trees right now.

I love Henshaw as well. I hunted opening day for the 1st time it opened since 1960. That was 1980.....Actually took out some avocado boxes for blinds in the south end.....My cousin and I shot limits of ducks & honkers.....Many great memories since.

Attachments

• henshaw 1-16-08 003.jpg
    henshaw 1-16-08 003.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    543.5 KB · Views: 64
  • henshaw last day  1-30-11 004.JPG
    henshaw last day 1-30-11 004.JPG
    875.6 KB · Views: 243
  • henshaw last day  1-30-11 002.JPG
    henshaw last day 1-30-11 002.JPG
    721.4 KB · Views: 62
  • henshaw 1-29-11 027.JPG
    henshaw 1-29-11 027.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 88
  • henshaw-Wister 1-22-11 008.JPG
    henshaw-Wister 1-22-11 008.JPG
    615.1 KB · Views: 82
  • henshaw-Wister 1-22-11 007.JPG
    henshaw-Wister 1-22-11 007.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 110
  • henshaw-Wister 1-22-11 005.JPG
    henshaw-Wister 1-22-11 005.JPG
    865 KB · Views: 82
Great photos Steve. I was an avid hunter of Lake Henshaw in the 80's. I was absolutely queer over the geese there. And the widgeon hunting was off the hook!

John,

We were crazy for them too......Here's a pic from 1981......Potato fields behind the lake......About 5,000 honkers in those days.

Attachments

• Henshaw-potato fields 1981[1].jpg
    Henshaw-potato fields 1981[1].jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 234
Great photo...When the potatoes went away it was down hill. But we do have the memories.

I hunted the South end and slayed the widgeon over the goose field decoys. What a great place Henshaw was!

These photos are epic, wish it was still like you guys described it. Is it just the drought that has affected it, or has other things happened since those awesome photos?

Hale_Abels1 said:
These photos are epic, wish it was still like you guys described it. Is it just the drought that has affected it, or has other things happened since those awesome photos?

No agriculture - specifically potatoes.

Why no more agriculture? was it a state reason, or did that area of land just stop producing agriculture revenue and had to shut down?

Hale_Abels1 said:
Why no more agriculture? was it a state reason, or did that area of land just stop producing agriculture revenue and had to shut down?

Agriculture takes water and here locally water is gold......There are some plans in the works for some limited farming near Warner Springs (winter wheat)......If enough acreage could be done. We'll see a good increase in honkers.

Henshaw fluctuates greatly. After the rain this Friday. It should come up to allow a little better hunting. The ducks will move as the food becomes available. Always a tough place to hunt for the newcomer.

Attachments

• henshaw 12-29-12 013.JPG
    henshaw 12-29-12 013.JPG
    694.8 KB · Views: 79
  • henshaw 12-1-12 004.JPG
    henshaw 12-1-12 004.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 77
  • henshaw 12-1-12 003.JPG
    henshaw 12-1-12 003.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 72
Havent had a chance to get out yet. Unfortunately I can only hunt Wednesdays due to my new work schedule. I sure miss those days of hunting the timber and getting woodies and greenheads back there. I think my best hunts were in the 2009 to 2011 years. I just hope the water will come up high enough to get to the vegetation this year. Some one take me duck hunting! :)

Gen,

These were great days with you......Tough hunts, but very satisfying........ ;)

Attachments

• henshaw 12-29-12 009.JPG
    henshaw 12-29-12 009.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Henshaw 12-26-12 003.JPG
    Henshaw 12-26-12 003.JPG
    816.3 KB · Views: 87

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu