Here They Come Daddy!

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, Stefanie and I got up at dark-thirty this morning to try and get her a turkey one last time. We have gone an average of twice a week since the opener, when she missed a big guy late in the day (her 1st miss at turkeys or deer).

As most of you know this has been a really tough year and with exception of jakes (which she/we don't shoot), we've had little action on the longbeards. This morning was no different. Set-up in our usual spot about 100+ yds from the normal roost trees on an adjacent property. Grey light comes and nothing. I get a little morning aggressive calling and not a single gobble. Flydown comes and goes and not a single turkey is spotted. With this, we move into more of the center of the property. Finally in the distance, I hear a gobble, then another. I call back and silence. After about an hour, I decide to move again. This time up the hill above the property and above a known game trail that they like to use.

As we're sitting there, Stef says, "Did you hear that gobble"?....Nope....But now we're on high alert (or at least she was). The Dave Smith decoys are down below us and off to the right of the trail. Since, we were in a spot the birds like to sneak in on. I decided not to call anymore. 30 minutes go by and Stefanie says, "Here they come daddy". Well, daddy had dozed off (some guide.....lol) and I never heard a thing until I hear a "putt putt". I open my eyes and 20 yards in front of us is a jake putting at the decoys and a big old "long" standing there casually. I am now fully aware of the situation and am watching Stef, who is to my right. She slowly raises her gun, takes off the safety, gets down on the stock, and fires....No miss this time big guy!....Pretty much center punches him.....lol

I'm sure you could hear us yelping all the way to Escondido.....lol.....Beautiful 3 year old tom.....21-2 lbs, 10 1/8" beard, and sharp 1" spurs.....I swear it doesn't get any better than this.....I need a nap.....lol

Attachments

• 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    970.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    925.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 083.JPG
    083.JPG
    869.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 086.JPG
    086.JPG
    996.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    567.1 KB · Views: 51
Awesome gobbler Steve! Wait is this the first long beard that's been posted? Big congrats to you and Stefanie!

awesome work steve... you taught her well !! even if you take a nap she can take care of business. congrats to both

Too cool. Tell her I said congrats. Can't wait to show my daughter.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu