Hound hunting Sambar 27/9

s13tsilvia

Aug 21, 2014
Australia
Well guys as im gearing up for my trip to California in december (cant wait!!) i got out on another hound hunt with our team.
The weather is starting to turn warm here which isnt good, it brings out the snakes and dries the bush out and the dogs knock up so was up at 3:30am saturday morning and off we went to meet up with the rest of our crew in the bush.

Everyone was in the bush by 6am looking for fresh marks and I walked down an old logging track and came across some stag marks that looked ok, about half a k down, i went on to the end of the track about another k and found nothing else so got back out and told the boss i had some that weren't friday nights but would have been early friday morning and i reckon they would go.

The boys took off to their various positions in the bush and so armed with my gun, and 3 beagles i went back in the track to the marks, i let our old starting dog go off on the marks and after a bit of fluffing around he sorted out where the deer had gone and was off cold trailing down the gully, i let the other 2 off and they went with him, our boss let a couple of other dogs go from back at the trucks about 3/4 of a k back and they followed my scent down and were to me in about 5 mins after he let them go.

The dogs then started after catching upto the deer and went into full screaming mode and rushed off down the gully to the river, i stayed on the old track heading down after them, then watching them on the gps they bailed up and i was rushing down to catch them only being 400 yards from them. i got to about 150 and they broke bail and continued down further and a bloke on the river in a known crossing spot at the base of a cliff shot a stag as it jumped into the water. You beauty i thought! then the dogs turned and headed back up another ridge and we realised they must have split up and were chasing 2 deer!
one of our guys on a bike roared around back upto the top of the valley and ran in another old logging road and was in a nice saddle and the deer came out halfway up the hill and he got a good shot into it and it was down.

So both deer down by 10:30 am which was a good start and we then caught trailing dogs and after cutting out way into the track to retrieve the second deer it was 1pm and hot! so back to camp for a couple of cold ones and pack up all the gear etc and head off home to watch the AFL grand final.

Cracker of a day for sure with dogs going like trains.

First stag shot
IMAG1021_zps8be8d72d.jpg

Second deer shot, bit of a mongrel head with no inners etc.
IMAG1019_zps323cfc77.jpg

you buy a yearly license to hunt deer via stalking and hunting with hounds, there is no bag limit, no tags etc. as long as you have a license to hunt deer you can take as many as you like, some hound crews can shoot upto 10 deer in a day. our crews personal best is 8 deer. We recover all deer when possible otherwise legs, backstraps etc are carried out. With 20 odd dogs to feed our crew needs a lot of venison to keep them fed.

A big stag can push 300kg's but they are very rare, the stag with no inners was a very large one and would have been mid 200kg's with his guts in.

The other stag was a lot smaller and was stripped at the river, front and back legs, backstraps etc.

Sdbirds said:
10 a day

I wonder why big ones are rare

Well I'm in

we are in a very strange situation, the deer numbers in our country of this species (sambar) are basically in plague proportions and some government agencies are trying to get them declared a pest species, which means no licenses required etc, can be spotlighted instead of hunted traditionally via stalking or hounds. We dont want this to happen ever!
Some hound crews in a season that runs for about 5-6 months can take over 200 deer, there are lots and lots of crews in our state, Big ones are not super rare but hound hunting you get what the dogs chase, whereas stalking you can be a lot more selective. Big ones are also very smart they run through does etc swim rivers to put dogs off etc so actually getting a big one is quite an achievement. Those figures of 10 in a day are rare, our average this year has been 2-3 deer and we only hunt 1 day week. With anywhere from 5-13 blokes in a team by the time the deer are butchered up, split into dogs meat and hunters meat you dont end up with much.

After doing some quick research on these deer, there is a very small population in Florida that they issue tags for.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu