How far can a gobble carry?

Papadeuce

Aug 27, 2018
Carlsbad
I know, I know... it depends on a LOT of different things. I’m just looking for a basic idea of how far a gobble sound will carry. Let’s say it’s a moderately hilly area, open meadows with some trees and no wind.

100, 500, 1000 yards? A mile? Just a ballpark.

I’m asking because I’m hunting on some private property and this is my second Turkey hunt ever. I’ve heard turkeys but never out in the field at dawn. Made a couple of purrs this morning after hearing a gobble and got a few responses back and forth. I never saw him and the property is freaking huge so I don’t know if he’s nearby or all the way across it.

Thanks in advance.

I was hunting A grassy meadow in a bowl surrounded with hills. I had put out a few calls and way in the distance we could hear a very faint gobble. The hill at the end of the meadow was a good half mile away. I continued to call every few minutes and the bird got closer over the next half hour. I finally saw the bird up on the ridge about the same time he spotted my decoy set-up. The last thing he did was fly into my set-up.:)

Reactions: Papadeuce
Hearing IMO is one of the most important factors in turkey hunting...I always say, I can hear a gobble from a mile away...lol...Don't know if that's true, but I can tell you with a good box call...They can hear you a lot farther than you can hear them...Hence, when calling in big country...You always start off light, in case they're close...Then raise the volume, if you don't get a strike/gobble...If you can hear the gobble...They can hear you and they're close enough.

If you don't have a quality box call, invest in one...I like Flydown Custom Calls single siders.

.IMG_E0836.JPG

Last edited:
Hearing IMO is one of the most important factors in turkey hunting...I always say, I can hear a gobble from a mile away...lol...Don't know if that's true, but I can tell you with a good box call...They can hear you a lot farther than you can hear them...Hence, when calling in big country...You always start off light, in case they're close...Then raise the volume, if you don't get a strike/gobble...If you can hear the gobble...They can hear you and they're close enough.

If you don't have a quality box call, invest in one...I like Flydown Custom Calls single siders.

.View attachment 48695
This makes a ton of sense. Thanks you.

I could tell that he was coming closer at one point and then I could definitely tell when he was moving further away, hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu