How far is too far?

OCOutdoors

Oct 3, 2012
My brother and I went out last Friday to try and fill our A31 tags. We get to our area and wait for the sun to come up so we can start scouting and come up with a plan to stalk. We spotted a few up high on a ridge so we decided to go after them but on our way we saw two doe in a canyon and switched our game plan. We were doing good with our stalk with the wind in our favor but got busted at 50yrds. One stopped at 68yrds so I pulled back and decided to let one fly but shot between her legs. I only have pins up to 60yrds but figured if I aimed on her back I would be golden but not so much. So those ones got away and my bro and I split up so I could retrieve my arrow while he tried to get to the next canyon to try and locate them again. We met back up and located them again but they were two canyons over. They were not spooked, still trying to figure us out so we thought we would try to get on them again. On our hike towards them we spook up two bucks. One was a nice forky that just walked off slowly(wind was still in our favor) the other which only had a small fork on one side stayed out in the open broadside at 80yrds. We couldn't get any closer and he just walked off. I chased the larger forky for 2-1/2hrs but could never get him closer than 70yrds. This was the first time that I've seen a buck archery hunting in SoCal and I wanted him bad but he got into a thick canyon and I never saw him again.

What is the farthest shot you all would take with a bow?

Just depends. I practice 3D all year long with confidence to hit targets to 110 yards but a live Deer size animal takes about 30% of my confidence and throws it out the window.
Every situation is different. Does the animal know you are there and on alert maybe 40 yards. Is it feeding and not a clue your about to put an arrow in him maybe 70 yards.

Key thing is to make sure that you can make the shot and anchor the animal without question. Otherwise don't pull the trigger...

I limit myself to 50 yards. I try to stalk to 30, If busted, I let it fly at 50. That's just me.

NBK said:
Key thing is to make sure that you can make the shot and anchor the animal without question. Otherwise don't pull the trigger...

Well said !

I killed a doe last season at 47yrds and she was aware that I was there. My pins only go to 60yrds and I feel comfortable killing at that distance. I don't practice any further but I have been thinking of a new bow or getting new sights that have pins out to 100yrds to practice.

Like LP I practice Alot out to 110, but thats mostly so I can beat LP,which doesn't happen often if at all. I am very comfortable shooting 3-D's at 80,and can do it well, but a live deer at 60,70,or 80 is way diff. Even when they stand totaly still Its hard to pick a spot on them.Where I hunt there is not alot of open space.Lots of big and small hardwoods.When I do see a buck in the open he's moveing pretty fast to get back to cover. So I kinda call 50 my max effective range in there.Sat morn I passed on a small 3x4 at 25yrds twice,and he stood still for 5min and he was hard to stay steady on. So a big boy at 50 would be tough for me.I couldn't immagine a 70yarder at a bruiser. But there was a time when I couldn't immagine shooting 3-D's at 100 too. Like NBK said be sure.Don't take shooting a deer with an arrow lightly, I think flailing an arrow at deer beyond your comfort range when there is the chance you could injure or fatally wound it and maybe never find it is never a good idea. Its tough enough when there close so be sure.

If I am questioning whether or not I can make the shot I opt out. We owe them a clean kill. Quite often (not always) I have found that when I pass on a shot and watch I get a better opportunity just a few moments later.

I don't think that's even a question you should ask. Really it doesn't matter what distance other people shoot at. Whatever the distance, YOU should be comfortable with the shot and it shouldn't be the first time ever shooting at a certain distance....

Invisible man said:
Like LP I practice Alot out to 110, but thats mostly so I can beat LP,which doesn't happen often if at all. I am very comfortable shooting 3-D's at 80,and can do it well, but a live deer at 60,70,or 80 is way diff. Even when they stand totaly still Its hard to pick a spot on them.Where I hunt there is not alot of open space.Lots of big and small hardwoods.When I do see a buck in the open he's moveing pretty fast to get back to cover. So I kinda call 50 my max effective range in there.Sat morn I passed on a small 3x4 at 25yrds twice,and he stood still for 5min and he was hard to stay steady on. So a big boy at 50 would be tough for me.I couldn't immagine a 70yarder at a bruiser. But there was a time when I couldn't immagine shooting 3-D's at 100 too. Like NBK said be sure.Don't take shooting a deer with an arrow lightly, I think flailing an arrow at deer beyond your comfort range when there is the chance you could injure or fatally wound it and maybe never find it is never a good idea. Its tough enough when there close so be sure.

One more week and I want to come shoot with u guys again

Breacher said:
I don't think that's even a question you should ask. Really it doesn't matter what distance other people shoot at. Whatever the distance, YOU should be comfortable with the shot and it shouldn't be the first time ever shooting at a certain distance....
I'm not asking as a gauge to what I should feel comfortable shooting at, just curious how long a shot others have felt comfortable taking.

Camped with some professional guides a few years ago in central Az, The had ninety yards pins on their bows and guns built and chambered in bruising calibers with giant adjustable point of impact scopes and that they knew how to use. Bottom line was they saw the need and rose to the occasion. They practiced themselves and tutored their clients and were killing elk and Coues deer at amazing distances because of their prowess with these tools. practice practice practice, shooting a firearm is like playing a musical instrument, you wont be any good unless you practice.

i've shot both elk and deer out to 70 yards and thats about as far as I feel comfortable shooting..but thats probably because I don't practice too much(I love to hunt but not to big on going out and shooting)but just like NBK said you shouldn't fling any arrows unless you've got an ethical shot and are certain you can dipatch the animal in a timely fashion

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu