How long ?

Tbob

Dec 11, 2014
Hey all you turkey pros,
So on public land in SD county, how long will you guys generally wait in between calling/set ups until you move along to another spot? Thanks.

Tb,

It really depends on so many factors......But, if you're on a known turkey trail, strutting area, or feed spot, you should probably have patience and stick it out.....In big country like Montana, New Mexico etc., running and gunning is what I do.....Walk and call, walk and call....You can do it locally to, but with so many people on public land, You're bound to bump somebody.....Always an uncomfortable situation.

Remember, turkeys can hear a box call for a long ways. And despite probably not hearing the gobble, they will pinpoint you to within a few feet.....2 cents

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 19
Thanks a ton man! You're always full of great advise. So I went out for the first time last Saturday at a spot I saw some turkeys a few weeks ago.. Set up, called etc.. and patiently waited for 5 hours or so.. I got kind of bored so I grabbed my bow, a trail cam and went for a walk.. Found what looked like a good spot for deer and hung up my cam. Came back and sat for another hour and finally had to pack it up for the day... Just wasn't sure if I should be moving every couple hours? So far on this spot (public land) I haven't run into or seen any other hunters..... Yet .. Haha!

Tb,

Thank you for the kind words....As far as your turkey hunting is going....It's tough this year and the fact you saw turkeys there makes it a place worth hunting.....Also, no other hunters is a plus as well.

Turkeys are very mobile daily and seasonally....Old dominant toms will normally stay in one area. Hens come to them, not visa versa....Satellite toms & jakes will travel long distances daily looking for hens.....For example, last Tuesday Gen (The Matagi) calls in a jake near an Indian res (mid morning)....The very next day, I called in the same single jake almost 2 miles away (MCC).....Yesterday, in the exact same spot, I had 2 jakes right in front of me gobbling their fool heads off. My friend John Massie came in about 2 hours later....Same spot... And never saw or heard a turkey.

Right place, right time (luck) has a lot to do with success right now. Dominant birds are very call shy and there's just very few satellite toms.....Jakes are your best bet.

Good luck

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 23
Sounds good. Makes sense too. It's funny, this turkey hunting stuff is very much like elk hunting in September. It's definitely more fun than I thought it would be and I haven't even seen a huntable bird yet (again, just like elk hunting sometimes). Well I've got another month or so to try and get this done. I'm hunting with my bow so I think I have through 5/15 to get this done..tough part is I have a 2 week vaca though towards the end of this month so I'm hoping to get it done this weekend. Will be interesting to see how things change with the weather changing this weekend. Thanks again for always pointing me in the right direction!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu