How much does a hunt generally cost here?

hots_towel

Jan 27, 2016
So I'm new to this sport and have yet to go on my first hunt (not quite sure how to go about it). I'm curious about how much I should save or get before I dive right in and spend money on one big beginner's mistake.

So better gauge what I'm working with here, I'll give some specifics.
- I plan on going either turkey or hog hunting
-I don't have any gear other than my guns and the ammo for them
-I'll worry about gas myself so no need to factor that in
-As I said, I have no experience, so I'm pretty sure I would need someone to show me the ropes the first time or perhaps a few more after that

Welcome
Tell a little more about yourself what you have gun wise, location and so on........

Hog is easy 400-1100 dollars

Plus 1 on what MJB just said......Turkey HUNTING is cheap......Getting one can be expensive...... ;)

ilovesprig said:
Plus 1 on what MJB just said......Turkey HUNTING is cheap......Getting one can be expensive...... ;)
haha true
Anyway, HT, what long guns do you plan to use for hunting?

The answer few question about pig hunting.
Things to buy.
1.good hiking boots
2.camo shirts and pants (just to be cool) pig don't have good eyesight .
3.good binoculars (buy once cry once ) bird watching in the future if needed.
4.good map (if your hunting public land)
5.surf all hunting website. start with Cal. F&W, study. study. study (google is your friend)
6.attend hunting clinic. or watch youtube on how to gut and process pig.
7.make friends. ;D
8.good luck (buy a lot)

Or skip 4 to 7 and book a hunt with Giant Sequoia guided service just to get your feet wet.

All joking aside, if you have the money, hire a guide and pay attention. If you can learn by watching, then spending some time in the field with a pro is well worth the money you spend. They know the land, they understand the game and by seeing a lot of game you'll get a much better understanding of how to hunt. Two cents.

thanks for all the replies :)

as for what im shooting I have a .12 gauge shot gun, mini-30, Mosin Nagant, and a 30-06.

as for where? I live in Whittier, so I'm thinking maybe in D10, D11, D17 or D14. of course I'm only going by what's local.

HT,
As a relatively new hunter myself, the best advice I can give is to get as much time in the field as possible and STAY there! It doesn't matter where you are as much as actually being out there. The goal of being afield is to FAIL and FAIL again, thereby learning what works. Couple this with asking lots of questions to the guys on here about what came up while out there. You'll eventually discover what you need and don't need/what works and doesn't. It's different for everyone and it is constantly evolving. Welcome and happy hunting!

Kidding aside, if your willing to drive 5 hours North . ill take you pig hunting.no guaranty but you will learn a lot.

Eric pecan said:
Kidding aside, if your willing to drive 5 hours North . ill take you pig hunting.no guaranty but you will learn a lot.
That's a generous offer.

One of the biggest costs is driving......Get used to it.......It's a way of life for us SoCal'ers...... ;)

Frankly, if you don't know anyone with a dog that hunts pigs, a 5 hour drive is the best you'll do if you're from SD or LA areas... Well worth your time and gas to make the trip.

The answer is hours and hours of your time. That is what it costs. Pouring over maps, scouting, sitting, tracking. The guns and ammo are the cheapest part.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu