How Much Does Diet Affect Flavor?

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
Yesterday I smoked a whole gadwall from San J. When I ate it, I noticed that it tastes the same as the ruddies I shot at San J. Earlier in the year I had some smoked honkers that were shot in fields in Colorado, they tasted different than the ducks I've shot locally. Although, I did have a grilled shoveler from Wister which had a very mild flavor. I have a couple of questions. Would a honker that was feeding in the ponds at San J for a while taste the same as a duck from San J? Also, do the ducks that are shot in ag fields taste different from the ducks shot on the refuges in SoCal?

IMO...Some ducks just taste better than others and their diet I'm sure has something to do with it...Canadian raised pintail, mallards & honkers are the best up there (barley, wheat, peas)...Sandhills & specks aren't raised in the grain belt, but are without a doubt, the best eating...Once ducks get to SoCal for awhile, not as good to me...Greenwings seemed to always be good...Gadwalls and cinnamons are marginal...I've never eaten spoonie or most divers that I liked...Widgeon are grass eaters and are OK...Just my 2 cents and taste buds.

ps...Not over cooking and using a Jaccard are game changers.

pss...Bacon makes everything better...:yum

.super bowl ll 2013 001.JPGsuper bowl ll 2013 002.JPGsuper bowl ll 2013 003.JPGsuper bowl ll 2013 004.JPG

IMO...Some ducks just taste better than others and their diet I'm sure has something to do with it...Canadian raised pintail, mallards & honkers are the best up there (barley, wheat, peas)...Sandhills & specks aren't raised in the grain belt, but are without a doubt, the best eating...Once ducks get to SoCal for awhile, not as good to me...Greenwings seemed to always be good...Gadwalls and cinnamons are marginal...I've never eaten spoonie or most divers that I liked...Widgeon are grass eaters and are OK...Just my 2 cents and taste buds.

ps...Not over cooking and using a Jaccard are game changers.

pss...Bacon makes everything better...:yum

.View attachment 49745View attachment 49746View attachment 49747View attachment 49748
PSSSSS---Bacon is great for improving the taste of almost anything, but, IMO, wine is even better.

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
Lots of info out on how gadwall that feed in highly saline environments dont taste as good. There intestine also expand and contract based on what they have been eating.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been told by a few that leaving the skin on fat mallards then cooking them in a cast iron skillet is the bomb...I have some (mallards w/skin) and hope someone wants to give them a try at the Kill 'em and Grill 'em BBQ.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been told by a few that leaving the skin on fat mallards then cooking them in a cast iron skillet is the bomb...I have some (mallards w/skin) and hope someone wants to give them a try at the Kill 'em and Grill 'em BBQ.

Why wife cooks them on the cast iron as you described.
you can also try:
Cook deboned duck breast in oven in oven at 275F for ~30 minutes until internal meet temperature is 120-125F (general for wild game). Do not exceed 125F. Take out, let it rest for a few minutes. Then sear on hot cast iron for 1 minute on each side.

Nothing taste better then a water smacked Coot from 80 yards. Flat out the best dog food around. My pup will leave the peanut butter hangin and lap up some good old fashion grilled coot any time.

I do this a few times a year with fat pintail and wigeon except all in the pan, no oven. If it wasn't for the added hassle of plucking, I'd do it to every bird with a lot of white fat.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu