How to cut a salt block

Try drilling holes where you want it to break all the way around then take a chisel and hit the holes it should break

Lots of places including near by states let you use salt blocks. Just saying :)

Is this legal to use for deer hunting in California?

Lots of gray areas in California.....If there's horses or cows on a property, you can bet the ranch there's salt licks.....There will also be artificial water sources, and in some cases feed..... In theory, some of those places are probably illegal to hunt per the letter of the law.....Despite being on private property.

IMO.....If we were allowed to give feed/nutrients in the off season, we would have more and heathier deer (bigger antlers too).....Remember, our deer in SoCal are very whitetail like (most live in a 2 mile radius their entire lives).

ps.....I'm not a high fence guy or shooting next to a feeder guy. But, I don't knock it either.....When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Last edited:
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#257_5

Scents are of limited use here, I am not going to say i have not used them before but i have yet to see any critter go nuts on them out here. Even rutting elk do not seem to pay much attention. Cover scents are of almost no value either. you cant hide your mouth and that garlic toast you ate the night before.

I agree with the usefulness of scents or the lack there of.....I was given some mule deer doe scent.....I'll see if it works this season.

I've used a saw on smaller blocks to cut them up and split them for my horses.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu