How to??

Tbob

Dec 11, 2014
So I've been watching some YouTube video's about how to "clean" a turkey. I noticed there's 2 main camps. There's the ones who skin the bird and then take each breast and leg/thigh.
Then there's the, hang it and pluck it and have it like a thanksgiving bird. So how do you guys all do it??
This is my first year out trying and if I get one, so far I'm liking the skinning and taking breasts and legs. Couple reasons, I feel like I could try out multiple recipes and cooking meathods, also it's just me and my girl, a big Ol turkey all cooked at once would take us forever to eat... Just wondering if there's other ideas out there.. Thanks much for the advise/insight..

I just do breast and legs , want to try plucking though one day...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

my first turkey cut out the breast and the legs, them wild turkey legs mostly tendon and grissle not much meat!!!

Today we totally plucked my friends bird we got......Plucking was easy (jake), looked great, and should eat good.....Cook in a bag with veggies, onion, etc.

Normally I filet the meat off the breast. You end up with 2 very large pieces.....Then cut all the meat off around the legs.....I boil the legs & any meat around them.....Then cut the meat away from the legs & tendons.....Chop up fine, add one jar of salsa, and eat in fajitas or on salads.

I do breast legs and the neck for soup. Tried caping the neck back and fan all together for a wall mount. Let you how it comes out in s few weeks after it dries out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have access to a grinder, this is an awesome way to enjoy your harvest for multiple forms of meals, (tacos, burgers, lasagna, sausages…)
I add a little pork fat which you can ask any butcher from your local grocery store and they'll give you some of their trimmings.
When grinding, I will also add seasoning for enhanced flavoring.
As noted in other replies, separate the tendon from the leg meat and grind it along with the breast meat.
Good luck knocking down your bird, you'll get one

Thanks again for all the advise! Headed out at 4:30am tomorrow morning for my first time out. I practiced a little with my new box call so hopefully I don't sound too AWEFUL out there. I figured I'm going to bring a few trail cams out with me too as this is a new area to me, but looks promising for deer maybe. I'll keep yall posted how it goes..

Does the thing you do with pheasant legs about the tendons work on turkeys?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu