How's the A22 going.

If you do buy safety beacon. $300-400 bucks. Push a button. Help is on the way.

I have one. Bought one from Spot v1 about 8 years ago for backcountry skiing. Paid way less back then, those things are getting expensive!!!. Wouldn't help with bigfoot, aliens, creepy stuff. lol. Or more realistic, mountain lions, for that I have my 10mm auto, oh wait, can't carry that when bowhunting o_O.

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
I only go in the woods for day hikes with a bow. If I go to camp rifle only.
I did it last year. I had three groups of illigals with coyotes. And they were more armed than I was.
I have 9 mil semi side arm, and my bolt action. And that was not enough
When I was out numbered 10 to 1.
Ruined my hunt. Up all night
I was to close to PCT trail. Had gone an other mile in it would perhaps would have been better.
I was two miles in from the truck trail. Plan was to hike in an area an other 1-3 miles.
Sucked the big one.

That is one big cat !!! Remember watch your 6 when out there, not just for deer behind you but for those cats as well. Even more so if packing out game.

Last edited:
Yeah I go alone. and deep into the woods :cold_sweat:

Entropy,
Here are some statistics that may help ease your mind...
1. Only 26 mountain lion attack fatalities ever recorded in history
2. Only 16 ever recorded in the US
3. 11 of those were children
4. More than 3/4 of them were running, jogging, or mountain biking

Believe me I fully understand the fear of the unknown when out in the woods in the dark. The reality is that you are significantly more likely to encounter a fatal snake bite than a lion attack. Of the 411 hunters who are missing I would be willing to bet that most of them died of hypothermia, dehydration, or some other medical condition.

Odds of being struck by lightning in the US: 1 in 96,000
Odds of being killed by a mountain lion while hiking in CA: 1 in 32,000,000 (source: tchester.org mountain lion ‘CA human’ baiting research station)

Reactions: The Deer Guy
Oh and I forgot to add that 2 of those people died from rabies. Not their physical injuries. It’s interestig to look at the records though and see that a couple of the killings were same year and same place. Most likely a rabid cat.

Reactions: ilovesprig
The point is this
Read the books, if you read the books, and Don't ignore it.
The statistics are not recorded properly. And it's not only cats
The head guys in state parks are not reporting the missing people.
Don't stick your head in sand and pretend all is good,
stay on your toes.
And especially when alone.
The missing person book the author does not give a cause or conclusion.
He states the facts. His was in law inforcemen.
Read the dam books.
And stay safe. And do what we do.
I didn't stop me either.
I still into the woods, carry a beacon
If you are by your self.
Most people survive with a beacon.
Common sense.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
the reason I wear gators is so I don’t have to think about snakes. You can’t be an effective hunter if you spend half the time looking down for snakes, or looking over your shoulder and worrying about a cat. If I didn’t want any risk I would buy my meat at the grocery store with the rest of America.
Now if we were in griz country then a lot more precaution is needed but we are not.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I would rather get killed by a cat or bear then die suffering in a bed.

Drew I totally agree with you.
And same here. But you young guys
Have families. You need to be a round to take care of them.
Now us old farts. We could give poop. I would rather perish in mountains. My last name translated
Look at mountains. And it's my heritage and in my blood.
And your right I believe snakes are more dangerous and not fun to get bit. I have had more close calls with snakes than anything else. Be sides
Shady humans is next.
Point is we are not told the truth.
And it's done on purpose.
It's a billion dollar Enterprise.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Longbow,
Dont get me wrong... even though I said that statistically it’s not likely to happen doesn’t mean my heads not on a swivel in the woods. I hate those damn lions and every time I’m out I’m scanning the woods for them. When it’s not archery season I also usually have my Glock 19 on my hip just in case.

Josh

Longbow,
Dont get me wrong... even though I said that statistically it’s not likely to happen doesn’t mean my heads not on a swivel in the woods. I hate those damn lions and every time I’m out I’m scanning the woods for them. When it’s not archery season I also usually have my Glock 19 on my hip just in case.

Josh
Thank you Josh.
How's the Hunting?
I am physically improving.
Hoping to get out on opener.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu